Non-mixing 3-in-1-out extruder

Hello,

I have been running a non-mixing 3-in-1-out extruder as a single extruder for a couple of months, successfully (Repetier v1.0.1 on RADDS 1.5+Due) as EX0.

I have connected two additional steppers to EX1 and EX2 and now wish to modify the firmware to recognize and use those extruders.

I've read through numerous posts of others trying to get mixing extruders (Diamond, Cyclops) working.  

In one post, I saw where the EX1 and EX2 heater and temperature pins should be disabled (set to -1) and that MIXING_EXTRUDER should be left alone (off).  I tried that, after adding the extruders using the configurator, and not enabling MIXING_EXTRUDER and SHARED_EXTRUDER_HEATER.  The temperatures for those two extruders register at 500 degrees C all the time with that configuration.  The heater does heat, but I don't think it knows when to stop.  Also, the steppers did not respond to commands to feed filament.

I recall trying MIXING_EXTRUDER by itself and then adding SHARED_EXTRUDER_HEATER, but the problem there was that EX0 would always mimic whatever actions EX1 or EX2 were doing, even though the process I was using (Simplify3D) was told to only print with EX1, for example.

So... do I configure the extra extruders to point to the heater and temperature pins for EX0?  Should I leave MIXING_EXTRUDER and SHARED_EXTRUDER_HEATER alone (off)?  Should I switch to pre 1.0.1 or up to dev?  I've disabled EEPROM in order to get my Due to work, will I need to get another Due so I can load color mixing tables in to EEPROM even though I'm not mixing?

I'll keep trying various combinations in the meantime.

Comments

• I think what you want is SHARED_EXTRUDER, MIXING_EXTRUDER disabled. If you check the temperature controller loop you see

#if SHARED_EXTRUDER_HEATER

if(controller > 0)

continue;

#endif

so you see you can only set temperature for T0. But the extruder 1 and 2 also need the same temperature sensor pin so they show temperature and you get no cold extrusion prevented.

• I did (in last night's installation) configure the temperature sensor pins to match T0.  The temperatures now all appear and they match.  The menu also allowed me to change filament for each extruder.  I think I left MIXING_EXTRUDER disabled, but I'm not sure about SHARED_EXTRUDER.  I will check.  

Either way, I was able to get all three extruders working on a single print (one 7.5mm high disk, changed the tool every 2.5mm).  The sections for adding scripts to tool change start/end were very handy.

Now, it's just a matter of getting the correct retraction/loading distances and figuring out if I need a filament dumping area.
  • I have SHARED_EXTRUDER_HEATER enabled.  I will re-configure without this option.
  • If you have only one heater you MUST use shared extruder. Only one device is allowed to set pwm or it will not do what you expect.
  • Oh, good.  That's how it is now.  The extruder only has space for one heater.   

I saw that retraction was happening when the tools were changed without the Start/End scripts and I see where that is configured.  But, I don't think the distance I entered (50mm) is being followed.  I will try an outrageous distance (200mm) and a faster speed to confirm.  Worst case, I will change the retraction value to zero and just use Start/End scripts.
  • 200mm may be not work a sit is longer then max extrusion length allowed by default.
  • 200mm was extreme.  It turns out I only need 45mm.  But, the retraction isn't working, even though I turn it on with M209 S1 in the starting script (and off again in the ending script).  That is, the retraction isn't the 50mm I was expecting, but something less.  For example, the T0 filament doesn't back out far enough, so the T1 filament crashes in to it and doesn't load.  I read that the retraction value may be divided by the number of extruders?  I don't understand that (and that may just apply to mixing extruders), but I am spending today looking in to this issue as I intend to switch to a Volcano extruder and need to have this functioning.
  • Please do not use M209 - that is converting slicer retraction to G10/G11 retraction and often does not do what you want. Just leave it. Then extruder moves like it is told and not it's own interpretation. Also check eeprom values for retraction settings.
  • EEPROM values: I have that disabled.  I think my RADDS' EEPROM is non-functional.  In the menus, I saw no area where I could adjust retraction (under Extruder, Settings or Setup).  I will look again.

I'll take out the M209 commands from my slicer scripts.  Today I will try both firmware tool change scripts and slicer tool change scripts to see if I can get the proper retraction values working.

For anyone else reading this thread: The extruder is a 3-in-1-out switching (not mixing) extruder.  It has a hexagon shape.  The base machine was a FlashForge Dreamer clone.  All the Dreamer electronics are gone, replaced with RADDS+DUE.  I anticipate replacing RADDS+DUE with a custom PCB.
  • I disabled the G10/G11 section, added scripts to the Tool Change sections and am now just fine tuning the retraction values.  So far, all is working just fine.

Thanks!
  • edited April 2018
    Hi,

I have a similar setup and have an issue with my second extruder. I use an E3D v6 hotend with a 2-to-1 filament merger (similar to the original prusa i3 multi-material setup) and two extruder steppers.

I configured repetier (v0.92) to SHARED_EXTRUDER_HEATER = 1 and MIXING_EXTRUDER = 0 and added the EXT1 parameters. EXT1_HEATER_PIN is -1 and EXT1_TEMPSENSOR_TYPE is the same input than EXT0.
    On my LCD the second extruder appeared after uploading the new configuration. I can select between the two extruders, but the second extruder does not allow any movement (see video). Both extruder drivers are enabled and does not allow any movement by hand. 

As described in this post, with the v0.92 the set temperature for the second extruder is missing. I changed to v1.0.1-dev and the bug disappead (see video), but the second extruder does also not allow any movement.

My configuration.h: link

Thanks for any advise! 

• Hi,

I have a similar setup and have an issue with my second extruder. I use an E3D v6 hotend with a 2-to-1 filament merger (similar to the original prusa i3 multi-material setup) and two extruder steppers.

I configured repetier (v0.92) to SHARED_EXTRUDER_HEATER = 1 and MIXING_EXTRUDER = 0 and added the EXT1 parameters. EXT1_HEATER_PIN is -1 and EXT1_TEMPSENSOR_TYPE is the same input than EXT0.
    On my LCD the second extruder appeared after uploading the new configuration. I can select between the two extruders, but the second extruder does not allow any movement (see video). Both extruder drivers are enabled and does not allow any movement by hand. 

As described in this post, with the v0.92 the set temperature for the second extruder is missing. I changed to v1.0.1-dev and the bug disappead (see video), but the second extruder does also not allow any movement.

My configuration.h: link

Thanks for any advise! 

Okay, I solved the issue. I forgot two initialize the EEPROM values. (see this post)