Support for new TMC2130 SSS (SilentStepStick) via SPI

Comments

• Might be able to join in, Teamspeak would be easiest for me.
    Located in Germany so timezone should be the same.

Mine are working by now still got to test around a bit, since i usually get steplosses on the "back move" after homing but i guess that is just a sensitvity thing on the first bump.
    I occasionally have steplosses right away on the skirt outline which always look the same, i think its related to steppers needing supply voltage before the controller is started, but not sure yet.
    Else everything is working flawless up to 500 mm/s - 10000 mm/s² Acceleration, havent tried anything faster yet. :)

• @alexsomesan Short question  since im not near my printer to test,
    is M906 to set motor currents working in repetier?
  • edited February 2018
    I tried M906 already and... It says that the command is unknown for me...

I want to lift Z to 380mm after print, what is the good Gcode command to do so ? Since I don't want the printer to add 380mm to the actual height but to be at 380 mm from the zero position after print

Teamspeak would also be the best for me since I wouldn't have to install a new setup to join... I've give you my personnal TS adress by MP, we'll see what we'll do later (I'm on it nearly everyday from 18h to 9/14h approximately so don't hesitate to come, I won't bite)
  • Thats just G1 Z380 .
  • In case anyone still needs help (and im actually able to help :D ) im probably availiable tomorrow
    around 13-14 o'clock, as said ts would be easiest for me.
    Just msg me. 
  • A little help to discuss about some improvement would be greatly appreciated Flux ! Join me on my TS whenever you want
  • I’m traveling back home and can only join later this afternoon, after 15:00 CET.
  • edited March 2018
    M908 sets the motor current.

You can find all the supported GCodes and their parameters in the Repetier.ino file.

See here: https://github.com/repetier/Repetier-Firmware/blob/master/src/ArduinoDUE/Repetier/Repetier.ino
  • Sorry I couldn't make it today.. I've received two more TMC2130's friday.
    I have just finished up wiring the drivers and setting cfg jumpers. I think all should be fine now..
    However! The motors just don't have any torque. I only have to stop the axle with my hand and it will stall.
    configuration.h is here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1M4lF_HLtG-Aq0U_lmps2Vg63rLT-rarg?usp=sharing

video of the issue:
  • Cant find anything out of the ordinairy in ur config at first glance...
    Have heard a lot of bad things about the chinese TMC's though, so this would be my first guess...
    In case ur not finding a solution i could send u a genuine TMC from Watterott which is working on my setup for sure.
  • Thanks for the Tips ! I'll try and check if I find the best value for the TMC

• edited March 2018
    I've the same problem with my Chinese TMC : No torque at all and it's totaly awful to use with the constant step skipping... If you have one or two (can't test just one on Core XY, must have two minimum) original and perfectly working TMC to test, I would even buy yours if it can solve my problem !
  • Sorry I couldn't make it today.. I've received two more TMC2130's friday.
    I have just finished up wiring the drivers and setting cfg jumpers. I think all should be fine now..
    However! The motors just don't have any torque. I only have to stop the axle with my hand and it will stall.
    configuration.h is here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1M4lF_HLtG-Aq0U_lmps2Vg63rLT-rarg?usp=sharing

video of the issue: image
    1000 mA isn't enough for chinese TMC . Go up to 1800 mA and test again. It "solve" my problem of strength. I've still no strength compared to DRV8825 but it's way better now
  • @Virtualchronos and @PioniSensei did you make any adjustments to the potentiometer on the step-sticks.

If I understood things correctly, to have access to the entire range of current settings via SPI the potentiometer should be at it maximum value. Note that it has no physical maximum limit - you have to determine the maximum value with a multi-meter on the VRef pin.

Sorry for not being more present here lately - the company I work for is being acquired and it's a little messy, eats up a lot of my time. Hope this improves soon.
  • Didn't knew that ! I'm gonna check today then ! If i can repair those damn TMC2130 without buying new ones it'll be awesome !
  • edited March 2018
    I have a CoreXY printer and installed TMC2130 drivers for XY and Extruder on my RADDS board. Thank you for your hard work. So far everything works "ok". I still have some issues in stealthchop mode with diagonal moves (only one motor moves). The holding torque off the standing motor is to low so it starts to move. My mechanics are ok. I don't want to crank the current up too high so I decided to power the motors with 24V. Is it fine to use a boost-converter and wire 24V to the VM pin? Do I have to wire GND from the converter to the motor too? The wattenrott pinout docs describes only one GND Pin for VM and VIO.

BTW I use 0.9° Motors
  • @nemesisde Yes, it’s safe to wire 24v to VM. Just make sure to also connect GND like you described. The boot converter and the main power supply should have common GND.

I also use 0.9 steppers from ACT motors in my CoreXY. They work really well. Which ones do you have?
  • @alexsomesan I bought the first best result on german eBay from StepperOnline (2.0A; 46Ncm; 1.4ohms Resistance; 3.0mH Inductance).

Is the following "wiring scheme"  correct? The Radds and the BoostConverter will have common ground.

• @Virtualchronos and @PioniSensei did you make any adjustments to the potentiometer on the step-sticks.

If I understood things correctly, to have access to the entire range of current settings via SPI the potentiometer should be at it maximum value. Note that it has no physical maximum limit - you have to determine the maximum value with a multi-meter on the VRef pin.

Sorry for not being more present here lately - the company I work for is being acquired and it's a little messy, eats up a lot of my time. Hope this improves soon.
    IT WORKED !!! I'm so happy you solved my problem ! Now I have couple, I increased acceleration without any problem and I even had to reduce current to 1000 mA ! Thanks a lot !!!

IT WORKED !!! I'm so happy you solved my problem ! Now I have couple, I increased acceleration without any problem and I even had to reduce current to 1000 mA ! Thanks a lot !!!
    For me too! :) Maybe I don't want 24V anymore 
  • Haha! Nice! Glad it was that simple.

Make sure you have heat sinks glued on properly. At 1 amp these chips get VERY hot (120°C pre-warning and 150°C thermal shutdown).
  • Oeeh sounds like I need to make a final effort in a bit! Did you just measure between ground and vref during trimming? I really hope this works. I was about to give up (or cave and buy 4 genuine watterott ones)
  • edited March 2018
    My heatsink are perfectly glued and they are well ventilated by a 120 mm ball bearing fan !
    What is the pre warning ?
    -is there a gcode to change the current set for TMC ? even if it's not saved, it's just to find the highest current value supported to increase the acceleration to 3000 and then flash it definitively. It's a big waste of time to flash, reflash and flash again the firmware when you change only one setting in test pupose
  • @Virtualchronos use M908
    M908 P# S####
    P# is a number representing axis so: 0=X 1=Y etc.
    S is current setting. Some weird behavior with mine is that the current it displays is always 6mA below the set current..

I added a temp sensor to the tmc heatsink (no fan yet). It get hots faast. This was with 1200 mA and no load. Just homing to a nonexistent endstop
    https://imgur.com/OucxHPD
  • New challenge: I want to activate sensorless homing. My idea is to use only one motor for both X and Y. I have a CoreXY and when I home X or Y both motors run and stall at the end. I configured XMAX_ENDSTOP and YMAX_ENDSTOP to X_MAX_PIN. Homing X works. But it doesn't trigger on Y. Is it possible that the driver can not trigger twice in one homing procedure?
  • @nemesisde how would you move along two axes with just one motor?
  • @nemesisde I also use sensorless homing on my CoreXY. I connect the DIAG1 pins of each driver to the corresponding axis' MAX_ENDSTOP. I also configure HOMING_DIR to 1 for all axes. This works well for me on all 3 axes.

The reason why this works is because in a CoreXY both motors run and get stalled at the same time (approximately).

Make sure you find the right TMC2130_STALLGUARD_X and TMC2130_STALLGUARD_Y for your setup. Set them both at 0 in the beginning. Use M914 to modify the stallguard value for each axis.

Start by homing one axis. If the endstop triggers before hitting the physical end, increment stallguard  to positive values and retry. If the end is hit but he motor still runs, decrement stallguard to negative values and retry homing. Use M914 to modify the stallguard value for each axis.
  • Flux said:
    @alexsomesan Yeah its 24V - 5V and since i always got some of those little MP1584EN around i used one of them, didnt know they would interfere like this.
    But gladly i got Mister @RAyWB to teach me and tell me how shitty my electronics look xD
    @Flux: could you describe more in details what was the issue with your DC-DC stepper? Did you design the DC-DC board using MP1584EN yourself or you bought already the board (there are many available online).

I am designing a shield for DUE and I am using a DC-DC step down to provide 5V for the board. This is because I want to power the graphic LCD controller from the board. Normally the fans should be connected to 12V or 24V rail. I am curios what was wrong in your case.
  • I think with the pwm from the mosfet and the dc-dc the signal wasnt "clean" enough anymore so the spi got interrupted cause its pretty sensitive.
    I just used a mp1584en breakout.
  • Hi,
    I have switched recently to genuine Watterott TMC2130 Stepsticks on my Cartesian Printer's X and Y Axis (controlled by a DUE+Radds 1.5 combo). 
    Printing via USB works fine, but i cant get my SD Card to work properly with the TMC2130 enabled.
    I have MISO,MOSI and SCL of the DRivers connected with the MISO,MOSI and SCL Pins from the Radds SD PIN header. CS for x is on Pin37 and for y on Pin 35.
    When i mount a SD Card Repetier Host shows "SD INIT failed" and a Error Code 37.
    With the TMC2130 drivers disabled the SD Card works fine.

Since I have just a very basic knowledge of coding, can you help me please to get the SD card with enabled TMC2130 working? 

Kind regards,

Neeroy