Do slicer parameters like retraction settings override firmware settings?

Repetier 0.92.9

Firmware (and EEPROM) values:
RETRACTION_LENGTH 3
RETRACTION_SPEED 40
RETRACTION_Z_LIFT 0

Slicer settings are as shown in the attached image
In such a scenario, since slicer values are higher, will they be applied or do the firmware values set the limits as 3, 40 and 0?

Comments

• Firmware values are only used for G10/G11. So as long as simplify3d creates it's own G1 moves for retraction these are used. Not sure if you can even enable using G10/G11.
  • So for retraction, the printer will always use:
    RETRACTION_LENGTH 3
    RETRACTION_SPEED 40
    RETRACTION_Z_LIFT 0

right?
    And it won't make any difference what values I give to "Retraction Distance", "Extra Restart Distance" & "Retraction Vertical Lift" in the slicer. Right?
  • When exactly are G10 and G11 used, if for all printing moves the slicer dictates the retraction values?

- G10 S<1 = long retract, 0 = short retract = default> retracts filament according to stored setting
    - G11 S<1 = long retract, 0 = short retract = default> = Undo retraction according to stored setting

I understand that G1 X Y Z E  will control retraction but what speed will it use for that? The one stored in EEPROM or the one specified in Slicer.
  • edited September 2017
    ojasV said:
    So for retraction, the printer will always use:
    RETRACTION_LENGTH 3
    RETRACTION_SPEED 40
    RETRACTION_Z_LIFT 0

right?
    And it won't make any difference what values I give to "Retraction Distance", "Extra Restart Distance" & "Retraction Vertical Lift" in the slicer. Right?

Ignore this comment. I misunderstood something.
  • So I read a little and I understand that the firmware values are used if AutoRetractConvert is enabled. Else, slicer values are used. Is that correct?
  • Yes that is correct, but normally it is better to not have autoretract enabled. It has sometimes strange effects if you want to move manually since such moves are converted in retract/unretract depending on values while you do not expect this.
  • Yes I've kept it disabled since I didn't fully understand it while building the firmware.
    One more thing, my extruder steps/mm are 95. It uses a 1.8 degree 1.5A motor. How do I find out the maximum retraction speed it can achieve?
  • Try and error. Normally 50 is a good value. It‘s not only the motor but also stress put on filament when you increase speed so at some point it will not move 100%. So if you see degradation in quality you are to fast. Motor speed limit depends on steps per mm. On avr you can do 30-40khz on avr if required.