Random crashes after upgrade to Windows 10 AND latest 1.5

Comments

• edited September 2015
    I'm using the latest driver available 15.28.24.64.4229 which is for Win 7/8/8.1 but works on Win 10 for everything else.

The release notes say this:
    This is a maintenance release for 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family, 
    containing improvements for Direct3D and OpenGL graphics. 

Hmmm...  If there is an issue with the OGL for HD 3000 that can be identified (and a way to show the issue that does not require running the whole Repetier package), I might be able to get Intel's attention on it. 
  • Did you try installing host with legacy 3d library selected? I suspect that both libraries differ a bit in mode selection and some cards only work with the one or the other library. That is a mayer part they have changed. Also enablign antialiasing may make a difference.
  • That is the same driver (15.28.24.64.4229) I am using. It is good to know that we are both seeing exactly the same behavior.

I tried installing Host with the Legacy 3D library selected but  It did not change the version of OpenGL detected by Host and produced the same crash behavior.
  • Also checked antialiasing settings? Should be disabled for the safe side.

The strange thing is 1.0.6 which seems to work uses exactly that legacy driver and the initialization class has not changed.
  • Antialiasing is not checked. I did confirm that I was using the Legacy 3D library and that the version of OpenGL that is detected 
    13:06:16.416 : OpenGL version:1.1.0
    13:06:16.416 : OpenGL extensions:GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture
    13:06:16.416 : OpenGL renderer:GDI Generic
    13:06:16.416 : Fast VBOs for rendering not supported. Using slower default method.

• As long as I don't touch the preview window, I can successfully print with version 1.5.6
  • I guess disabling filament preview in toolbar will also work?
  • I was unable to connect with repetier host (serial connection) after upgrade windows 10.

I was able to run repetier server.  But system stopped in the middle of a print job.

Solidworks software also experienced problems.

Solution !!  Disable windows update KB 3072630

Reinstall Repetier

Uninstallin update is explained in the link.

Good luck
  • I also have a laptop with Intel HD3000 graphics with windows 10. Bizzarely, i was able to print a few items with little hassle but now repetier crashes immediately after slicing. I hvae noticed that memory usage shoots up to 4GB+ just before the crash though.

There may be some bad news from intel regarding our graphics cards...

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm

If you look at the bottom of the first table it plainly says this card is not supported under windows 10 :(
  • It is probably not the most supported card but it looks like OpenTK is just grabbing the wrong OpenGL. Choosing a default over the one that works for the graphics card. 
  • Hello,
    For me the solution was to launch slic3r directly from repetier host directory, slice STL from slic3r, export g-code and import to repetier host.
    And... no crash !
  • Gooday from a new user,
    Using windows 10 on a HP with Radeon graphics 2GH and a AMD A10.
    I have not even got past the connect stage yet, it tells me I have wrong "com Port" so I shook it a few times and still have no response.
    I also have a Asus running 8.1 and the printer works well except I am having trouble getting the job to stick to the heat bed. I have tried hair spray, spray adhesive but it still lifts. Also having separating layer problems.
    I have no hair now so I cant pull any more out!
    Some advice would be wonderful.
    Rossco
  • Have you installed the driver so com port appears at all?

heated bed works only with proper material/surface/temperature combination. Glue stick is cheap and works quite good. Buildtak more expensive but good bonding (or even too good if you come too close).
  • Rossco

Are you using PLA or ABS?  For PLA, I use blue painter tape. For ABS, I use Aquanet hair spray. The adhesion is great once you get the first layer down correct.
  • edited October 2015
    @Repetier: could repetier host show stack trace on crash? Probably that's possible with NET somehow.

On Linux such behaviour (seeing stack trace) is common (kde apps doing that for example) but not windows.

Maybe that would allow easier tracking of where fault is. (I also see crashes, also using windows 10 and intel drivers).
  • If it is inside .NET it will show a crash report with more details. If it happens inside a driver you normally only get some infos no one understands with the dll creating it and a error number and some more numbers. These are not catchable. Windows event system will also log these messages.

Do you see one of these messages or how does the crash show for you?
  • I also have a laptop with Intel HD3000 graphics with windows 10. Bizzarely, i was able to print a few items with little hassle but now repetier crashes immediately after slicing. I hvae noticed that memory usage shoots up to 4GB+ just before the crash though.

There may be some bad news from intel regarding our graphics cards...

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm

If you look at the bottom of the first table it plainly says this card is not supported under windows 10 :(
    I think that means no Win10 specific driver but Win 10 still will use the 8.1 driver so that is not a big issue.  However, that may be where we are getting tripped up on the OpenGL if the support is changed between 8.1 and 10.
  • Intel has a newer OEM release of a later build for HD3000 Win8.1 which also works on Win10 but it seems to make the problem worse, or I found the perfect .STL to crash Repetier every time. As said before the crash happens at the end of the Slicr pass where Repetier is supposed to render it.

I did find that removing the Intel driver and running with the Windows generic in-box driver does NOT crash. Unfortunately, that makes the laptop unusable for much else and YES, it needs to be used for other things.

So the big question is, how exactly can we configure Repetier to use the hardware as if the Windows driver is installed?

• edited October 2015
    If it is inside .NET it will show a crash report with more details. If it happens inside a driver you normally only get some infos no one understands with the dll creating it and a error number and some more numbers. These are not catchable. Windows event system will also log these messages.

Do you see one of these messages or how does the crash show for you?
    @Repetier maybe this will help?

Application: RepetierHost.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
    Stack:
       at OpenTK.Graphics.OpenGL.GL.GenBuffers(Int32, Int32[])
       at RepetierHost.model.GCodePath.RefillVBO()
       at RepetierHost.model.GCodeVisual.BufferVBOs()
       at RepetierHostExtender.geom.ThreeDView.BufferVBOs()
       at RepetierHost.view.ThreeDControl.SetView(RepetierHostExtender.geom.ThreeDView)
       at RepetierHost.Main.assign3DView()
       at System.EventHandler.Invoke(System.Object, System.EventArgs)
       at System.Windows.Forms.TabControl.OnSelectedIndexChanged(System.EventArgs)
       at System.Windows.Forms.TabControl.WmSelChange()
       at System.Windows.Forms.TabControl.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
       at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.SendMessage(System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
       at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.SendMessage(System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SendMessage(Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ReflectMessageInternal(IntPtr, System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmNotify(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
       at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.CallWindowProc(IntPtr, IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
       at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.CallWindowProc(IntPtr, IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DefWndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef, System.Windows.Forms.MouseButtons, Int32)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
       at System.Windows.Forms.TabControl.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
       at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG ByRef)
       at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG ByRef)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr, Int32, Int32)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)
       at RepetierHost.Program.Main(System.String[])
  • Ok, maybe I have a hint. In an other forum where someone had the same problem/error it was mentioned that this will crash if the driver does not support GL_EXT_framebuffer_object which should not be the case in OpenGL 1.5 or higher. I only test opengl version. Please check the log at startup if you have that extension. You might need to copy the line to a text editor to read it completely. If you do not have that extension please report the opengl version/driver or better copy the log entry here. Then try Preferences->3D Visualization->General->Draw Method = Arrays. This does not use buffers which crash in your case.
  • < 15:26:59.121 : OpenGL version:1.1.0
    < 15:26:59.121 : OpenGL extensions:GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture
    < 15:26:59.121 : OpenGL renderer:GDI Generic
    < 15:26:59.121 : Fast VBOs for rendering not supported. Using slower default method.
    < 15:28:21.233 : Starting object analyser ...
    < 15:28:21.243 : Object is manifold.
    < 15:28:21.243 : Analysing finished.
    < 15:28:24.903 : CuraEngine command:C:\Program Files\Repetier-Host\plugins\CuraEngine\CuraEngine.exe -p -v -c "C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\RepetierHost\cura.ini" -s posx=0 -s posy=0 -o "C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\RepetierHost\composition.gcode" "C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\RepetierHost\composition0.stl"
    < 15:28:24.943 : <CuraEngine> Cura_SteamEngine version 15.01
    < 15:28:24.943 : <CuraEngine> Copyright (C) 2014 David Braam
    < 15:28:24.943 : <CuraEngine> This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
    < 15:28:24.943 : <CuraEngine> it under the terms of the GNU Affero General Public License as published by
    < 15:28:24.943 : <CuraEngine> the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
    < 15:28:24.943 : <CuraEngine> (at your option) any later version.
    < 15:28:24.943 : <CuraEngine> This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    < 15:28:24.943 : <CuraEngine> but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    < 15:28:24.943 : <CuraEngine> MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
    < 15:28:24.943 : <CuraEngine> GNU Affero General Public License for more details.
    < 15:28:24.943 : <CuraEngine> You should have received a copy of the GNU Affero General Public License
    < 15:28:24.943 : <CuraEngine> along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
    < 15:28:24.943 : <CuraEngine> Default config 'default.cfg' not used
    < 15:28:24.943 : <CuraEngine> Loading C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\RepetierHost\composition0.stl from disk...
    < 15:28:24.943 : <CuraEngine> Loaded from disk in -0.000s
    < 15:28:24.943 : <CuraEngine> Analyzing and optimizing model...
    < 15:28:24.953 : <CuraEngine>   Face counts: 1290 -> 1290 100.0%
    < 15:28:24.953 : <CuraEngine>   Vertex counts: 3870 -> 647 16.7%
    < 15:28:24.953 : <CuraEngine>   Size: 31.750000 31.750000 23.000000
    < 15:28:24.953 : <CuraEngine>   vMin: 24.125000 29.125000 0.000000
    < 15:28:24.953 : <CuraEngine>   vMax: 55.875000 60.875000 23.000000
    < 15:28:24.953 : <CuraEngine>   vMin: 24.125000 29.125000 0.000000
    < 15:28:24.953 : <CuraEngine>   vMax: 55.875000 60.875000 23.000000
    < 15:28:24.953 : <CuraEngine>   Matrix: 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000
    < 15:28:24.953 : <CuraEngine>   Matrix: 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000
    < 15:28:24.953 : <CuraEngine>   Matrix: 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
    < 15:28:24.953 : <CuraEngine> Optimize model 0.015s
    < 15:28:24.953 : <CuraEngine> Slicing model...
    < 15:28:24.953 : <CuraEngine> Layer count: 77
    < 15:28:24.973 : <CuraEngine> Sliced model in 0.016s
    < 15:28:24.973 : <CuraEngine> Generating support map...
    < 15:28:24.983 : <CuraEngine> Generating layer parts...
    < 15:28:25.003 : <CuraEngine> Generated layer parts in 0.031s
    < 15:28:25.083 : <CuraEngine> Generated inset in 0.078s
    < 15:28:25.253 : <CuraEngine> Generated up/down skin in 0.172s
    < 15:28:26.424 : <CuraEngine> Wrote layers in  1.17s.
    < 15:28:26.424 : <CuraEngine> Wrote   1.0 MB.
    < 15:28:26.424 : <CuraEngine> Total time elapsed  1.48s.
    < 15:28:26.424 : <CuraEngine> Print time: 6728
    < 15:28:26.424 : <CuraEngine> Filament: 3615
    < 15:28:26.424 : <CuraEngine> Filament2: 0
    < 15:28:31.954 : CuraEngine command:C:\Program Files\Repetier-Host\plugins\CuraEngine\CuraEngine.exe -p -v -c "C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\RepetierHost\cura.ini" -s posx=0 -s posy=0 -o "C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\RepetierHost\composition.gcode" "C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\RepetierHost\composition0.stl"
    < 15:28:31.984 : <CuraEngine> Cura_SteamEngine version 15.01
    < 15:28:31.984 : <CuraEngine> Copyright (C) 2014 David Braam
    < 15:28:31.984 : <CuraEngine> This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
    < 15:28:31.984 : <Cura
  • edited November 2015
    That's my log after a crash. Hope that helps.

I have noticed that it only crashes the second time I slice something though. The first slice works fine, and renders with single pixel lines, but when you try to slice it again (if you forget to add supports for example) it tries and then crashes out.

Just tried it with "arrays" and unfortunately I get the same result. :(
  • edited November 2015
    @Repetier, log file on start-up:

10:53:26.220 : OpenGL version:1.1.0
    10:53:26.222 : OpenGL extensions:GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture
    10:53:26.222 : OpenGL renderer:GDI Generic
    10:53:26.222 : Fast VBOs for rendering not supported. Using slower default method.

Also, you may be able to rule out the slicer as the cause since I can reproduce this crash without slicing anything. If I open Repetier-Host (printer disconnected even) and load a gcode file, I can manipulate the image in Print Preview all day long. If I switch to one of the other tabs and then back to Print Preview, it crashes every time.

I throw in my video card details in case there's a trend:
    Manufacturer Intel
    Model HD Graphics
    Device ID 8086-0046
    Revision 3
    Subvendor Toshiba (1179)
    Current Performance Level Level 0
    Driver version 8.15.10.2900
  • edited November 2015
    @Repetier said:
    Ok, maybe I have a hint. In an other forum where someone had the same problem/error it was mentioned that this will crash if the driver does not support GL_EXT_framebuffer_object which should not be the case in OpenGL 1.5 or higher. I only test opengl version. Please check the log at startup if you have that extension. You might need to copy the line to a text editor to read it completely. If you do not have that extension please report the opengl version/driver or better copy the log entry here. Then try Preferences->3D Visualization->General->Draw Method = Arrays. This does not use buffers which crash in your case.
    I did some more digging into my issue and have some observations.

As suggested, I tried setting the drawing preferences to arrays. As with @Bellers, this did not resolve the problem. In hindsight I'm not surprised since the log file explicitly stated "Fast VBOs for rendering not supported. Using slower default method.", so theoretically RH was choosing arrays on it's own. I also tried forcing the drawing method to immediate. This did not resolve the problem either.

But I don't think the real issue is with OpenGL at all. At least in my case, RH initially renders the objects successfully. It's only when I switch away from and back to the Print Preview tab that the error occurs. For some reason RH appears to have forgotten that it shouldn't be using "fast VBOs" and on reloading the Print Preview tab makes the failing call to OpenTK.Graphics.OpenGL.GL.GenBuffers:

Stack:
       at OpenTK.Graphics.OpenGL.GL.GenBuffers(Int32, Int32[])
       at RepetierHost.model.GCodePath.RefillVBO()
       at RepetierHost.model.GCodeVisual.BufferVBOs()
       at RepetierHostExtender.geom.ThreeDView.BufferVBOs()
       at RepetierHost.view.ThreeDControl.SetView(RepetierHostExtender.geom.ThreeDView)
       at RepetierHost.Main.assign3DView()
       at System.EventHandler.Invoke(System.Object, System.EventArgs)
       at System.Windows.Forms.TabControl.OnSelectedIndexChanged(System.EventArgs)

There is a second issue here too. On startup my log file shows:

10:53:26.220 : OpenGL version:1.1.0
    10:53:26.222 : OpenGL extensions:GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture
    10:53:26.222 : OpenGL renderer:GDI Generic
    10:53:26.222 : Fast VBOs for rendering not supported. Using slower default method.

According to the Geeks3D utility "GPU Caps Viewer" (http://www.geeks3d.com/20150821/gpu-caps-viewer-1-25-0-gpu-information-utility-opengl-opencl-cuda/), I'm running OpenGL version 2.1 and supporting that claim I am able to run the included OpenGL 2.1 demos. I think the utility also reports that my driver supports the GL_EXT_framebuffer_object extension, along with 111 others, but I may be misunderstanding that.

So Repetier-Host appears to be detecting the wrong version of OpenGL supported and unnecessarily falling back to the slower arrays method of drawing. While not ideal, it's not a show stopper.
  • I've spend today trying to find some more data about it. What I found is that the garbage collector can make troubles when using arrays. I need to pin the arrays for the duration of drawing or bad things can happen. That might be a problem, but should have no effect on immediate move. So it is only a rare reason for a crash.

I will test you VBO hint a bit. Maybe I find something. This surely can also be a problem since generic gdi does not support it.

OpenGL selection is not done in the host but in the OpenTK library. The host just says give me the default OpenGL mode and for some strange reasons it returns the generic driver for you and other intel HDxxxx users also some intel cards seem to have no problems.
  • Ok, I think I have found the VBO problem. Please try this host version:

it should have the fix and also work when you come back.
  • Thanks for the quick turnaround. I gave your updated version a quick checkout and it seems to have resolved the issue of crashing when returning to the Print Preview tab. I'll spend some more time with it to see if I get the random crashes others seem to be having.
  • You absolute hero! It all seems to be working now.
    As jonk said. Will test over the next few days. Thanks for your support with this.
  • Great. Now I only need to find what I broke with VBOs :-) But at least I know what this special issue was.
  • I tried the version you posted above. I was hoping it might resolve my issue as well. Unfortunately I can't get it to work at all. After I installed it, When I go to run it, I get 3 entries in task manager and I can't kill them manually. I end up having to reboot. Removing and reinstalling Repetier Host did not change the problem.