Raspberry Pi 4 Compatibility?

edited July 2019 in Repetier-Server
Anyone tried the Raspberry Pi 4 B+ with Repetier-Server? Not sure if the RS image for the PI will install on it either.

Any info appreciated.

Mel
---

Comments

• Don't think it will work (the image). Had same problem with Pi 3+ that a new kernel was required to support the board. What should work is install it on older pi and upgrade linux so it uses new kernel.

We will do that for next image with 0.92.0 along with some other planned improvements soon. We also ordered a Pi 4 for testing which should arrive soon, then we can say more.
  • Did that Pi3 -> Pi4 upgrade a few days ago, and it worked rather smoothly. The only thing that didn't work after the upgrade was the webcam. Looks like the format of '/usr/bin/v4l2-ctl --list-formats-ext' changed a little bit and I had to tweak the regular expressions that were looking for Pixel Format.
  • docbobo - did you eventually get the cams to work after tweaking?
  • I managed to update the Raspberry PI for Buster and that went fine...Repetier Server starts up, connects and works fine. The only stumble is the Pi doesn't start Chromium to show the web GUI on the 3.5" TFT display, it just sits at the :$ line. No doubt humbly awaiting some intelligent command from me, which I apparently screwed up in the update process...:-)
  • That is normal and happens after every update. Login and run
    sudo raspi-config and select to autologin to commandline in boot options. Don't know why but updating linux always deletes this setting.
    After reboot it should start again touch screen with chrome.
  • Did the rasp-config, needed to install lightdm, did that. Boots to a blank screen with the cursor top left corner...LOL

Hows that go? I'm closer but no cigar...:-)
  • Do not think we used lightdm. openbox is what we use without window manager to reduce memory usage. New 0.92 is nearly finished and then I will make a new image based on buster. Then I will also know what the problem is. Also want to fix the login problem and start it in a different way to not depend on autologin.
  • That'll be great cause I san start from a known point instead blindly stumbling around in the dark...LOL

Looking forward to the update! Thanks for the prompt response and a fabulous product!

Mel
  • Repetier said:
    along with some other planned improvements soon.
    Oooooo what planned improvements? :D hehe
  • You can also configure ethernet connection apart from the updates for all versions.
  • Upgrading to Buster also broke my webcam. I cannot make any changes to the webcam assignment. It just reverts back to the previous setting, and I cannot get a picture no matter what I do.
  • New V17 image with buster is out that should work with wifi and webcams.
  • Thats all well and good, but what about my existing configuration? I have 3 production printers set up in it, and I would have to set them all back up again. Maybe implement a backup system, so I can simply just re-image the SD card then upload my existing printer setups and be ready to go in minutes?
  • Isn't there a setting where you can save each printers configuration to your computer, then after the new install create the original printer just enough to get to the point here you can then upload the old configuration? If memory serves me right those functions were when I clicked on the gear icon when viewing the main dashboard.
  • There is no need to update to new image if your images work fine. Autoupdating server instance is all you really need. Only do not upgrade old versions to buster as buster has breaking changes that require different scripts then on the image for stretch.

If it already to late all you need to do is copy /var/lib/Repetier-Server folder to new image to get exactly the same settings back as on old image. Just do make sure server ist stopped when copying the files and start after copy is finished.
  • wabbitguy said:
    Isn't there a setting where you can save each printers configuration to your computer, then after the new install create the original printer just enough to get to the point here you can then upload the old configuration? If memory serves me right those functions were when I clicked on the gear icon when viewing the main dashboard.
    THANKS heaps!!!! That is exactly what I was after. :)