Extruder diameter change ignored

After replacing my extruder I changed the extruder diameter (under Printer Settings) to the right nozzle aperture diameter; from 0.5 mm to 0.4 mm. I noticed though that the filament wasn't layed down as tight like it used to be. Taking a look at the G-code confirmed what the Print Preview already suggested: there is no difference in generated code for an extruder diameter of 0.4 or 0.5 mm. In fact, there is no difference between 0.27 - 0.53 mm (tested with CuraEngine).

I solved this by increasing the filament flow but I don't see the point why the extruder diameter isn't taken into account gradually (or at least every 0.05 mm) when slicing.

Comments

• cura engine configuration under extrusion tab has nozzle diameter
  • MartinH said:
    cura engine configuration under extrusion tab has nozzle diameter
    It makes no difference. Set to '0' means it uses the value from Printer Settings. I did some testing anyway to be sure there is no inconsistency between handling both settings, but the result is the same: for a nozzle diameter from 0.27 up to and including 0.53 mm the same G-code is generated. I just can't believe it.
  • If you change nozzle diameter you also need to change shell thickness. CuraEngine used a fixed width extrusion and shell thickness and nozzle diameter together determine the extrusion width. So think how many lines your walls should have and set it so it fits x times nozzle diameter and if you like a bit more.