RepServer 0.91.2 shows strange symbols after upgrading

After Installing the latest Update of Repetier server the GUI shows strange symbols in every screen. The problem occurs after a few days. At first everything was as OK like it was the last months (where it works good).
But after about 3 Shutdowns and Poweroff´s the screen looks like the picture above. I tried an complete restart, but the problems stays the same.
The Webinterface works as usual and over it i can print but I need the 5" Touchscreen at my printer.

Is there an Bug in the newest release? What is noticed by me is that there is now an Scrollbar on the right side and on the bottom.
So far there was no scrollbar.

What can i do? Do I need to reinstall everything?
Thanks

Comments

• Yes this has started to show up in our 3 machines since yesterday, these machines were up and running since last few months and suddenly this?

What did you change repetier? We are an OEM It’s really bad that at client locations screen symbols are changing..
  • I have faced this too need immediate attention.
  • Please login using ass and run

ls -l /usr/local/Repetier-Server/www/modules/front2/www/fonts

total 1376

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  31000 Jan  6 16:06 font-awesome.min.css

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 134808 Jan  6 16:06 FontAwesome.otf

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 165742 Jan  6 16:06 fontawesome-webfont.eot

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 444379 Jan  6 16:06 fontawesome-webfont.svg

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 165548 Jan  6 16:06 fontawesome-webfont.ttf

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  98024 Jan  6 16:06 fontawesome-webfont.woff

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  77160 Jan  6 16:06 fontawesome-webfont.woff2

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  37070 Jan  6 16:06 repetierfonts.eot

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  48848 Jan  6 16:06 repetierfonts.otf

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 112390 Jan  6 16:06 repetierfonts.svg

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  36888 Jan  6 16:06 repetierfonts.ttf

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  33840 Jan  6 16:06 repetierfonts.woff

What you see is that the browser failed to read the repetierfonts you see in my listing. So first step would be to check if they got deleted or corrupted.

You have a copy of them here: 

/usr/local/Repetier-Server/www/modules/front2/www/fonts

Especially if you do not shutdown the pi before unpowering there is a chance to corrupt the file system. Since I hear it worked at the beginning I must assume that the files were there after update and vanished later.

• I don´t know what ass is, but I logged in with ssh (typing error??) and made an screenshot of the list. I found no difference.
    The Raspberry was shut down before powering off.

• I have the same problem since yesterday!?!
    I allways shut down the server before powering off!
  • We are OEM users and we have liscences of 100s of machines around 8users have reported this since yesterday and also they were on previous versions on server..
  • edited March 2019
    And That’s not only font but even emergency symbol looks weird..
  • edited March 2019
    Have the same problem since today, Version 0.86.2.
    This version is installed sind march 2018.
    Compared to the fontlist the ...webfont.woff2 is missing. But also missing in /usr/local/Repetier-Server/www/modules/front2/www/fonts, so probably this font is not included in V0.86.2.

I have to say I just switch off without shutdown since 3 years without a problem up to now. First I thought that I corrupted because of the missing shutdown, but now I see that many cases these days, so there might be another reason.

• edited March 2019
    My screenshot:

What i can say, the Functions are normal. I can print without problems. Only the Webcam ist not working on the 7" Touch.
    The Icons: Start, Netzwerk, WLAN, Nachrichten, Sprache, GUI restarten looks normal. All other Icons are replaced...

Eventually is in the program code a problem with the actual date?
  • Looks like this has happened to the machines which were connected to internet directly, and rest all the machines are fine .. we need solution asap
  • So to summarize the problem. Until 14 march there were no problems and for several users at that date the loading of the repetier fonts stopped working. This is even true for versions being a year old and the files required still seem to exist.

So at that point something must have changed. We did not change version or files, so also server suffers from the problem the initial reason why it stopped working must be something that happened at that time.

I just updated linux with latest updates, but for me it is still working and I'm also connected to the internet.

Analysing the font used I see that for the fontaweseome font the woff2 format is loaded now (older version may not have it). This font is still visible for all. The repetierfont with the printer related icons gets loaded as .woff file in my chrome since there is no woff2 version. This is working. 

pi@FelixWhite:~ $ chromium-browser --version

Chromium 65.0.3325.181 Built on Raspbian , running on Raspbian 9.8

So I'm running chromium 65.0.3326. Anyone with problems having a newer version?

Entering "date" I also get a correct date. Someone with wrong date? Old dates may cause problems with certificates not being valid.

If you have no users defined you can also call the touch gui externally.

http://serverip:3344/modules/front2/app/app.html/

Does this show correctly for anyone with problems? 

Does anyone have done anything to the pi recently like updating, installing new software, ...

I hope to get some help here, because without having a device with these problems, I can not analyse and test how to fix it. But with some help it should be possible to find the reason for the problem happening and then find a solution. 
  • Is it possible that the problem only occurs on servers with german as language? (My Printer is printing at the moment so I can not try it).
  • Just switched to german and it is still working. Languages can cause troubles but normally if they have illegal chars the complete app does not work. The question here is more if the woff can not be loaded or if chrome does not even try to load it for some reasons. Maybe calling it in your pc chrome browser might reveal any hints on this. But of course during printing do not try anything that can disturb print.
  • edited March 2019
    Here are some more data:

1) Server Version 0.86.2 (Raspberry Version)
        I regularly just switch off (since 3 years), never did shutdown.
        (Good luck so far?)

2) At my printer the problem happened to start on march 15th, not at first boot on this day.

3) chrome version at raspberry says:  
        Chromium 51.0.2704.91 Built on Ubuntu 14.04, running on Raspbian 8.0

4) date says: Sat 16 Mar 13:35:19 UTC 2019

5) calling the touch gui externally:
        Result is:  Requested file not found.
        But found the app.html at this folder:
        Result: the Touch-GUI looks good, all icons are correct.

6) no updates since march 2018

7) don't know if this is important:
        found two folders with the repetier fonts.
        /usr/local/Repetier-Server/www/modules/front2/www/fonts
        and
        /usr/local/Repetier-Server/www/modules/front/www/fonts
        some of the files have different size, but all files have time
         stamp June 30, 2017, so probably no recent modification.

• @Scotty thanks for the test. Since you are running 0.82.2 it is correct that the url is different (www/app.html) that has changed with 0.91.x where we compiled it with new angular 7 so we had to change url's a bit.

/usr/local/Repetier-Server/www/modules/front/www/fonts is old stuff from first touchscreen gui only added for backward compatibility, but not actively used.

It is interesting that an external browser shows the same webpage correctly. That really means the fonts are still on the pi and are loadable. Only for some reason the chrome version that was always running suddenly stops loading or showing it for some reason. It makes not much sense.

It is nothing related to server directly as it looks. 

Would be great if someone could add a mouse so you can enable development tools with right mouse click and then reload. In network tab you would see which files it tries to download and if it succeeded. File in question is here repetierfont in any version. Does it try to load, succeed, what are the error messages there. Since we now know the files are there and normally called the questions is why chromuim does not work the same as before or if download internally just does not work.

• Ok one mor question for all having the problems. What linux version are you using. I now have 2 reports all using debian 8.0 Jessie, which is quite old.

i@FelixWhite:~ $ lsb_release -a

No LSB modules are available.

Distributor ID: Raspbian

Description: Raspbian GNU/Linux 9.8 (stretch)

Release: 9.8

Codename: stretch

Is what I get without having the problems. That is also what our current image is based on. Actually all images since V8 use stretch.

Also if all run debian 8 question would still be why it suddenly stops working, but would at least a hint where to look for.
  • pi@RepetierServerV086:~ $ lsb_release -a
    Description:    Raspbian GNU/Linux 8.0 (jessie)
    Release:        8.0
    Codename:       jessie
  • Me too. Exactly the same...
  • sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade 
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

reboot. If gui does not appear (happens sometimes after update/upgrade) run sudo raspi-config and select boot option console with autologin and reboot.

This has been reported to solve the icon problem.

If it does, please report new lsb_release and chromium --version versions. I have the feeling that chromium knows it is expired somehow and starts acting differently. If the updates result in newer chromium versions that might be the hint.
  • Thank you very much!
    After following your instructions it works :)
  • edited March 2019
    I run all the updates:

lsb_release shows the same as before.
    Chromium changed from 51 to 56:
    Chromium 56.0.2924.84 Built on Ubuntu 14.04, running on Raspbian 8.0.

And the strange symbols - sorry to say - are still there.
    Calling the Touch GUI from PC shows all icons correctly.

But in general: thank you very much for your help on saturday!
  • Thanks a lot! It works!

Chromium changes from 51.0.2704.91 to 56.0.2924.84

But Raspbian is still Jessie:

pi@RepetierServer:~ $ lsb_release -a
    Description:    Raspbian GNU/Linux 8.0 (jessie)
    Release:        8.0
    Codename:       jessie

I thought it would upgrade, but it doesn´t matter. The symbols are OK now!

• Since the update helped cosmovave andTK3d, I updated again.

But the problem is still there.

Maybe the difference is the touchscreen: I have a 7 inch 1024 x 600 waveshare touchscreen, which needs another font size?

So it seems i have to upgrade to the current server version.
    I already tried this yesterday, but after 4 hours I read about your update hint and stopped it. A hint or link for a straight forward strategy with keeping the settings would be highly appreciated.
  • Thanks. Had the same problem - solved with the workaround.
    Repetier said:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade 
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

reboot. If gui does not appear (happens sometimes after update/upgrade) run sudo raspi-config and select boot option console with autologin and reboot.

This has been reported to solve the icon problem.

If it does, please report new lsb_release and chromium --version versions. I have the feeling that chromium knows it is expired somehow and starts acting differently. If the updates result in newer chromium versions that might be the hint.

Furthermore I've updated to stretch
    Found a very good description on https://www.datenreise.de/en/raspberry-pi-raspbian-update-update-jessie-to-stretch/

• Well updating to stretch seems the easiest and most solid solution at the moment.

Currently I have put an old V7 on a sd card with the hope to get the error, but it did not happen so far. Guess some component needs to check something in internet and does a modification causing the error. So I guess I have to wait until that happens to see it on my own. Or there is an other thing needed.

If someone has a normal hdmi output version with the error and cam make an image of the sd card I should get the error I guess. But please send it in private since image will contain your license key even if you disable it.
  • Updated to stretch finally helped with the server icons.
    Have now Raspian 9.8, chromium 65.0.....

@Falcon20xx: thanks for the link!

There are just 2 things open to come to former functionality and comfort:
    - I can't get WLAN working any more. LAN is OK. What to do to start WLAN from scratch?
      Maybe any old settings are confusing stretch now.
    - And chromium always shows the popup "Seiten wiederherstellen" (Restore pages) after switching on.

• Followed the above instructions.  Can not get the gui to start.  Have completed the raspi-config but no luck.  Console shows that it auto logged in but gui fails to launch.  Any help would be welcome.
  • edited March 2019
    Upgrading from jessie to stretch is not so easy. If I remember right there is a x compatibility package needed for xserver to work again. 

The easy way is to make a new image with our V14 image and copy the contents of /var/lib/Repetier-Server from old sd to new image.

If you have 50% free sd card you can tar the folder, so you only have one file to save. Or you insert a usb stick with enough free disk space.

cd /var/lib
    sudo tar -czf targetfile.tgz Repetier-Server

will create copy. Replace targetfile.tgz with full path of target.

To copy it back run

cd  /var/lib
    sudo tar -xzf targetfile.tgz

wlan should then also be no problem. Over time we have added some improvements and with the upgrade something might have changed.
  • is the current v14 image based on stretch?

• Yes V14 is stretch based. Actually since V8 all images are strech based.

For all wanting to upgrade, we made a detailed upgrade instruction for new images:
    https://www.repetier-server.com/knowledgebase/upgrade-to-our-latest-pi-image/