Motor cracks when connecting

Hi,

I have two problems with my printer. When I connect the computer to the Arduino Due /Radds with Repetier firmware the motors are cracking very loud.

The other problem is when I slice with Slic3r then the printer stops printing every now and then for a few moments. I tried different resolutions without any change. Other USB caples also do not help. With Cura it does not happen so often, but there are too many other problems.

Do you have an Idea what I can do?

Comments

• Motors might make a sound when they get current. That is unavoidable but nothing I would rate as loud. Is this the same sound you get when you do M84 and then a move starts?

The other thing with your hangs while slicing is simple. Windows UI run in a main thread that needs to do a lot - also communication with printer. SO if you load a file e.g. sliced result that takes a while to process and if printer buffer runs out of moves before that is finished it will get a small pause. 2 Solutions are possible:
    1. Do not do anything with host when printing
    2. Install our repetier-server and always print using the server. Host has a connector to print over server so everything is more or less the same. But server is a background daemon that has a own thread for printing. So it will not be affected by host being blocked. In fact you can even close the host and print will continue in background.
  • Thanks for your answer. Starting the motor after M84 is silent. The sound it makes when I connect the board with repetierhost or when I upload a new firmware is as loud as a basedrum. It might have to do with the raps128 motordriver and that the motors are by default enabled. I guess it is that the board loses control and that some interferences are triggering the motordriver.
    Because this is really worse I always disconnect power when uploading a new firmware. Now I installed a relais on the  FAN_BOARD_PIN, connected with the bed_pin and provided with extra power. Starting a motor or the bed heating triggers the relais and gives power to motors and Extruder heater. Only problem is this does not work when I only start the extruder heater or when the extruder cooler works until the extruder is cold.
    I tried to find the code in the repetier firmware where the board fan is switched on, but I could not find it. Is there a possibility to solve this problem?
  • When uploading pins are not really initialized so on different boards strange thing happen. RAPS128 enable on low signal so are e.g. on at start until gettinig initialized. I have a printer where fan gets full power on upload.

Search for 

#if FAN_BOARD_PIN > -1

#if HAVE_HEATED_BED

if(heatedBedController.targetTemperatureC < 15)      // turn off FAN_BOARD only if bed heater is off

#endif

pwm_pos[PWM_BOARD_FAN] = BOARD_FAN_MIN_SPEED;

#endif // FAN_BOARD_PIN to find where it is controlled and you find something like this:

#if FAN_BOARD_PIN > -1

#if HAVE_HEATED_BED

if(heatedBedController.targetTemperatureC < 15)      // turn off FAN_BOARD only if bed heater is off

#endif

pwm_pos[PWM_BOARD_FAN] = BOARD_FAN_MIN_SPEED;

#endif // FAN_BOARD_PIN

in kill function but also others that turn it on. Modify it to condition you want or just set pwm for commands you want it to trigger. It is enabled by

pwm_pos[PWM_BOARD_FAN] = BOARD_FAN_MIN_SPEED;