Firmware Wiped Out CONSTANTLY!!

My firmware settings get cleared every time my 3D printer is disconnected.  It is VERY annoying.  I'm not sure why it happens.  I edited my firmware to accommodate for my printers unusually 200+mm height.  I don't believe I changed a single other thing.  By now my firmware settings get erased any time: the printer is unplugged, the USB cable is unplugged, the printer is disconnected in Repetier, or Repetier is closed.

Any suggestions?!

Comments

• You mean you use eeprom and it gets replaced by the content of configuration.h? That should only happen if EEPROM_MODE changes or you send M502 e.g. from a init.g file on sd card. Otherwise I have never observed such a phenomon.

Which firmware and version do you use?

• The Marlin firmware settings all get set to 0 if I close Repetier.  The part where you enter "steps per mm", "maximun feedrates", etc.  Press Alt+E to get to it.  It's definitely not an SD card problem, I don't currently use one.

I did mod the firmware though.   It was the only way to get the printer to go higher than 200mm on the Z axis.  But the height of the Z was the ONLY thing I changed.

Currently using Version 1.0.6
  • I just had this happen to me! First time ever. Caused a head-crash because the Z-height got set +50 longer than it had been for months. I had done a "kill print" on a job I ran last night, then started up this morning and was alerted by the sound of the head dragging. NEVER happened before, and I haven't changed a single thing in firmware in about 2 weeks (just for recalibrating Z-height after moving printer). In the past 24 hours I had to click "kill" a couple of times, all worked fine... except last one yesterday, when it seemed to resume on its own so I had to click Kill a few times before it stopped. Bug in Repetier if Kill is clicked more than once? Is there a backup of all my EEPROM settings? I think I have a post-calibration file on a different computer and will hunt for it. Obviously, will back up after every change from now on!
  • Host can backup most of the eeprom in Repetier-Host. Exception are calibartion data.
  • I'm just not sure why the eeprom doesn't hold it's settings.  Isn't that what it's for?
  • Yes it is meant for storing data permanently. Firmware computes a checksum and stores EEPROM mode. If checksum mismatches or mode changes it will reinitalize, in all other cases it holds old values. If it doesn't it may be defect. You could write a small script filling it comletely with one value and then checking if it was set everywhere. Do this with 255 and 0 to test both bit states. Then you know if eeprom should be working (assuming other patterns would work as well).

You could also prevent updating by putting a return at the beginning of these 2 functions

static void readDataFromEEPROM(bool includeExtruder);
        static void restoreEEPROMSettingsFromConfiguration();

in eeprom.cpp

but you loose the ability to update it from configuration.h