Repetier Host manual control for extruder issue

Currently using Host 1.5.3 and firmware 0.92.3.

Just noticed today that the Host manual control for extruder is doing funny. Obviously after the default minimum temp 150C reach.
The problem is I could only rotate the extrude motor when I click 'retract' and then 'extrude' and then 'retract' and so on (back and forward every other direction). So basically if I click 'extrude' and then 'extrude' again, the second click is not doing anything. The same issue on the 'retract' rotation. 

Also noticed that no matter which button (1, 10, 50 or 100) I clicked, it is always spin for the same number of rotation.

Interestingly I could both extrude and retract normally through the LCD control. I could spin the extruder motor as far as I want both extrude and retract direction.

fyi, part of the debugging I tried reinstall the Host 1.5.0, but not make any different.
I also tried reupload the a-week-older-firmware that the extruder manual control in the Host 1.5.0 was working normal a week ago.

So something happen not normal inside the Host as much as I understand. Any idea that might cause this?

Comments

• Please open log window and enable commands. Then you should see what commands get send and see that the commands differ and are correct.

Also make sure printer is heated at normal temperature and not around 150°C. Ther eit will run or not run just like it oszillates around 150 if that is the problem.

Since it workes in 1.5.0 and not in 1.5.3 and then also not in 1.5.3 while I never changed the routine I guess it is wrong usage or a firmware thing. In any case log will show if host did send right moves or not. 
  • I tried lower down the 'Minimum extruder temperature' to 15, just to make sure I should able to spin the extruder motor anytime as the room temperature is above than that anytime.

The commands looks correct, here I copy paste when I click the manual control for 'slow extrude 10'.
    08:48:34.441 : N186 G91 *62
    08:48:34.441 : N187 G1 E10 F120 *55
    08:48:34.441 : N188 G90 *49

when I clicked 'retract 1':
    08:50:59.022 : N245 G91 *50
    08:50:59.022 : N246 G1 E-1 F450 *38
    08:50:59.022 : N247 G90 *49

when I clicked 'fast extrude 50':
    08:51:58.260 : N270 G91 *52
    08:51:58.260 : N271 G1 E50 F450 *59
    08:51:58.260 : N272 G90 *55

• Commands are correct so host is sending the right commands.

So problem should lie on the firmware side. Does resetting E with G92 E0 make any difference?
  • I sent command G92 E0 and not make any different.

By the way, I found that changing the value in the  'Manual extrusion speed' and 'Manual retraction speed' in the Host setting, doesn't make any different. the E motor always spin the same speed (extrusion has two level of speed) and same distance (1, 10, 50, 100), which is the same distance and speed when I control through the LCD panel for every click, the different I could extrude any length, instead the Host couldn't but back and forward only.

Will focus on the firmware and share what I see.
  • 2 hints
    1. Make sure advance is disabled to make things easy
    2. Check eeprom values. Sometimes after upgrade eeprom contains wrong values for new parameter and that can cause strange things especially not working extruder.
  • edited July 2015
    here what I have done, I tried upload the firwmware step by step (tab by tab), meaning I setup the value in 'General' tab only, then download all files, unzip and upload it with arduino 1.6.5. Run with repetier host, test the extrusion, when it works (spin in both ways like expected), I move on to the next tab which is 'Mechanics', and so on until 'Feature' tab works, I still able to move the extruder motor like expected.

but then after I upload my setup from the last tab 'user interface', this extruder motor is starting acting funny again.
    This is 100% repeatable, I tried couple times already. So my current conclusion, this extruder issue triggered by the setup I have done from the 'user interface' tab.

also for your information, i got this message "Low memory available, stability problems may occur." in the arduino 1.6.5 after I setup my value on the 'Feature' tabs. Is this meaning something for you?

And interestingly I could make the extruder control run normal again, after I upload the firware from the download I got from the 'Mechanics' tab. The folder from 'Temperature' tab and 'Features' tab which were working fine, are not working after the issue occur. Strange.

For your information, I change the eeprom from Eeprom set 1 to 2 in 'General' tab and reupload the firmware but I still got this extruder acting funny.
    I am not sure 'check eeprom values' mean?

btw, does M502 is the way to reset eeprom to default/clean?
  • Finally have it works, but switch to Repetier-Firmware configuration tool for version 0.91 Rev 8, and then compile with Arduino-1.0.6-win.

Interestingly I got error during compiling in Arduino 1.6.5-r2 with Repetier-Firmware configuration tool for version 0.91 Rev 8 file.

I am wondering what happen with the firmware 0.92. Please let me know if you have any idea for me to try.
  • Low memory can cause problems. You never said how low it got. When you start firmware you see free ram in log. Around 900 byte is normally ok. With cartesian printers you normally have no memory issues only with delta printers if buffered moves is too high. 0.91 uses a bit less ram so this might be why it works.

M502
    restores it but only temprary. You need M500 afterwards to save to eeprom again.
  • is there any way to reduce the buffered moves? which setting I should change?

what is better board that has bigger free ram than Arduino Mega 2560?
  • If you want more ram you need a due based board. Then you go from 8kb to 96kb.

What you search is in configuration.h or in config tool if you enable expert settings

/** \brief Number of moves we can cache in advance.
    This number of moves can be cached in advance. If you wan't to cache more, increase this. Especially on
    many very short moves the cache may go empty. The minimum value is 5.
    */
    #define PRINTLINE_CACHE_SIZE 16
  • I just found out that the manual code command for extruding was running backward compare to the button command.

For example, when I click extrude button for 1, the extruder motor turning the right direction to extrude the filament. The log command show: G1 E1 F400

But then when I type command manually F1 E1 F400 and enter, the extruder motor is turning retract for 1mm while the log command also show: G1 E1 F400 

So somehow the manual command that I type and enter generate backward movement on the extruder motor.

FYI, the state X, Y and Z (this is Delta system) is running fine, both on the code command manuall and on the button command.

is there any idea how to debug this issue?
  • As far as I know this issue comes when using the autoretract feature with M209 S1. When I understand that correctly then extrusion without moving xy triggers the same like the G10 or G11 commands for retract/extrude, means the extruder retracts / extrudes only a predefined way and nothing more. Using M209 S0 disables this feature and the extrusion should work correctly again. To be found in firmware 92.5 page features when activating the feature 'Enable G10/G11 retraction and filament change and allow jam detection'.
  • Yes, autoretract is not really a good think in most cases. Nice name but often confuses the user.