The extruder motor doesn't work

I wired the motors for the 3 axis, and they worked good, but the extruder motor didn't work. The extruder heater warms good, but when I click the button for extrusion (Control Manual panel) the motor doesn't respond.

I wired the same Pololu driver and the extruder motor in the X axis block of my RAMPS 1.4, and they work without troubles.

Could you please help me? 

Comments

• Motor works only if you are above min temperature or in 0.92 if you have enabled cold extrusion (M302 S1)
  • OK, thank you, I'm gonna try it.
  • Hi!

My extruder (All Metal MK8) stepper won't work none manually, none digitally. As described above, my "extruder motor in the X axis block of my RAMPS 1.4, work without troubles", but won't work as extruder stepper.
    The same with the "2004 LCD Smart Controller Display Adapter".
    I'm newbie, I shall be grateful for any help.

Thanks!
  • Check in lcd debug options if dry run got enabled. Upgrade to latest 0.92 if it was. Also check host log for messages showing the reason for doing this.
  • edited December 2015
    Check in lcd debug options if dry run got enabled. Upgrade to latest 0.92 if it was. Also check host log for messages showing the reason for doing this.

Im using latest 0.92. Where is that "LCD debug options"?
  • In Debug submenu. Click encoder to see menu. If there dry run is enabled extruder will not work.
  • Click encoder to see menu.

encoder? :-B Is it slicer in Repetier host software? Im sorry, I'm not familiar with your terminology.
  • edited December 2015
    If you mean this link  ... stepper won't work even in this mode. :-/

When i use this firmware, atleast have noise of extruder stepper, but won't run (also run problems with X/Y axis steppers)
  • LCD is the display of your printer. Encoder is the fat button you can rotate.
  • I have the same problem: extruder motor wont turn.
    Dry run is off
    Temperature is 200 deg.
    motor, driver and board is fine - i re-installed marlin firmware and motor turns fine, re-install repetier firmware and motor wont turn.
    my extruder settings are below

#define EXT0_X_OFFSET 0
    #define EXT0_Y_OFFSET 0
    #define EXT0_Z_OFFSET 0
    #define EXT0_STEPS_PER_MM 370
    #define EXT0_TEMPSENSOR_TYPE 12
    #define EXT0_TEMPSENSOR_PIN TEMP_0_PIN
    #define EXT0_HEATER_PIN HEATER_0_PIN
    #define EXT0_STEP_PIN ORIG_E0_STEP_PIN
    #define EXT0_DIR_PIN ORIG_E0_DIR_PIN
    #define EXT0_INVERSE 0
    #define EXT0_ENABLE_PIN ORIG_E0_ENABLE_PIN
    #define EXT0_ENABLE_ON 1
    #define EXT0_MAX_FEEDRATE 50
    #define EXT0_MAX_START_FEEDRATE 20
    #define EXT0_MAX_ACCELERATION 5000
    #define EXT0_HEAT_MANAGER 3
    #define EXT0_WATCHPERIOD 1
    #define EXT0_PID_INTEGRAL_DRIVE_MAX 230
    #define EXT0_PID_INTEGRAL_DRIVE_MIN 40
    #define EXT0_PID_PGAIN_OR_DEAD_TIME 7
    #define EXT0_PID_I 2
    #define EXT0_PID_D 40
    #define EXT0_PID_MAX 255
    #define EXT0_ADVANCE_K 0
    #define EXT0_ADVANCE_L 0
    #define EXT0_ADVANCE_BACKLASH_STEPS 0
    #define EXT0_WAIT_RETRACT_TEMP 150
    #define EXT0_WAIT_RETRACT_UNITS 0
    #define EXT0_SELECT_COMMANDS ""
    #define EXT0_DESELECT_COMMANDS ""
    #define EXT0_EXTRUDER_COOLER_PIN -1
    #define EXT0_EXTRUDER_COOLER_SPEED 255
    #define EXT0_DECOUPLE_TEST_PERIOD 12000
    #define EXT0_JAM_PIN -1
    #define EXT0_JAM_PULLUP 0
  • NOTE: when i send an extruder command from repetier, the extruder motor makes a small noise and locks up.
  • Correction:with the following setting the extruder stepper locks up
    #define EXT0_ENABLE_ON 0 

With the following setting the extruder stepper does nothing.  Which is to be expected for the ramps board:
    #define EXT0_ENABLE_ON 1
  • Please check your eeprom. Sometime there are wrong values causing problems like no extrusion. Or use
    M502
    M500
    to copy config values to eeprom makeing them valid again, but that would delete your modifications.
  • Looks that was Arduino faulty. I have ordered new one and problems gone. Thanks for your help, Repetier!
    I would like to get some help for laser support. Can i ask here or need search for topic?

• Laser is easy but lacks a bit documentation. Here is how to make some gcode for laser that works:

• edited December 2015
    No, i have no problem with G-code.

$H; home all axes
    G21; Set units to millimeters
    G90; Use absolute coordinates
    G92; Coordinate Offset
    G00 X207.6 Y179.4
    M03; Laser ON
    G01 X207.6 Y179.4 F1000
    M05; Laser OFF
    G00 X206.4 Y179.4
    M03; Laser ON
    G01 X206.4 Y179.4 F1000
    M05; Laser OFF
    G00 X205.8 Y179.4
    M03; Laser ON
    G01 X205.8 Y179.4 F1000
    M05; Laser OFF
    G00 X205.4 Y179.4
    M03; Laser ON
    G01 X205.4 Y179.4 F1000

I'm confused with pins, which pins are correct? How to define them? How to join laser?
    I have in use 450-500mW violet laser (voltage DC 5V. Current 700mA) image
    I have read some topics, but there is no required information for me.

By the pins mapping (below), Servos has 5V outcome. How to choose/define those pins correct?

Or, do i need laser driver as here or here

BTW, ur firmware can read M106/M107 commands as on/off ?
  • Latest 0.92 has in config tools a laser mode you can add. Then you have to set pin for laser output and thats it.
    M452 
    will enable laser mode while M451 enables fdm mode, In laser mode M3 is on M5 off and laser automatically turns on/off for laser moves. That's all. No need to fiddle with M106/M107. PWM frequency would be too low anyway for pwm intensity. I change intensity with feedrate instead.
  • edited December 2015
    Hm, something wrong. I have chosen X MIN PIN (#define LASER_PIN ORIG_X_MIN_PIN). I can indicate 5 Volts, but no enough current, 80 mA only (required 700mA). As you understood, laser wont work at such current.
  • Very bad idea. This can even break the avr contrller. Signal pins are only rated for 10-20mA! Never use them directly!
    My laser has a laser control board with ttl input and 12V input for laser power. If you connect directly (and possible for that type) use a mosfet powered output like fan/heater outputs. Also the on board 5V converter can not handle 700mA so it will get problems there as well.
  • So, it's a TTL? Now everything much clearer. If you have written to me about it at the very beginning ...
    Here could be used simple transistor as switch, with original power supply of laser.