Error 0x00 when uploading

edited March 2015 in Questions & Answers
Hi everyone,

I am having a few issues when trying to upload Repetier firmware onto my Generation 6 deluxe electronics. Using Arduino 1.0.1, I get the following error just before it uploads...

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

Or sometimes this error;

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x89

From what I have searched there is some kind of communication error but everything I have tried so far hasnt helped? 

Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Thanks 

Comments

• Have you checked the generated code size? Not sure how much ram the delux version has, but old version had only 64kb so I guess 124k is the limit (128k minus bootloader). With full features it is possible to become larger.
  • Hi Repetier,

Thanks for getting back so quickly. When I go to upload the firmware it says "Binary sketch size: 54,270 bytes (of a 63,488 byte maximum)"

I did think that there wasnt much space so I turned alot of the features off
  • Ok, so it is not the size. 

It might be a wrong setting in board.xt where avrdude parameter get set (mathing a differen bootloader then the one installed). Or it is just bad luck. Sometime it does not work 10 times and unplugging reconnecting it suddenly works. I would read the gen6 doc pages again if unplugging does not work. Maybe there is a hint on the board you need to select or settings that need to be changed. In any case your problem arises when avrdude tries to upload the sketch to the board. So googling "avrdude generation 6 delux fails" should give some usefull hints.
  • Hi Repetier, 

An update for you, I found the following website and followed what it said. Turns out it was something to do with the drivers?!? Anyway thanks for the help you provided.

Actually just one quick question, I am configuring the firmware but I have an issue with the homing. I am using opto sensors which work fine. Its just that when I click home (on any axis) it will only move around 5mm? I.e. not all the way to the actual endstop? 
  • You do not want to trigger the endstops while moving along x or y = 0, so going back a bit is a good idea. It comes from these settings:

// When you have several endstops in one circuit you need to disable it after homing by moving a
    // small amount back. This is also the case with H-belt systems.
    #define ENDSTOP_X_BACK_ON_HOME 1
    #define ENDSTOP_Y_BACK_ON_HOME 1
    #define ENDSTOP_Z_BACK_ON_HOME 5

Z should 0 if you home to z min.
  • That's worked perfectly. Thanks again.

In regards to the axis compensation, I have enabled both the z probe and the compensation in the features menu. Is there anything else I need to do? At the minute I have a print that comes out at 88 degrees and no matter what I change the value to, it doesn't change
  • Did you auto level (G32 S2). Having a probe means nothing unless you use it to compute the angle and set the rotation matrix accordingly. Also 88° are quite much to compensate. I would first correct it somewhat by hand, also for testing if your auto leveling works correctly it is great. But extruders do not like tilt, so use auto leveling only for a small remaining error.