Dual Filament retract problem

I have just put a single hotend on my printer that is used for dual extruders, when i try to print with both colors the first extruder starts the print just fine, upon color switch the first extruder retracts the required amount the 2 extruder feeds almost the correct amount but never makes it to the hot end, (hot end not clogged) upon color switch again the 2nd extruder retracts the correct amount but the first extruder tries to start printing before feeding material back to the hotend, it will not feed the required 150mm filament back the hot end..

Anyone able to give me some advice ?

Comments

• Check config file. There is a max. extrusion length per move. I think that is around 100 normally. So maybe your move is just longer and move is ignored. So you can split up move into 2 moves or increase limit. Also make sure to reset position using G92 E0 at the beginning and end of your insert script.
  • Repetier said:
    Check config file. There is a max. extrusion length per move. I think that is around 100 normally. So maybe your move is just longer and move is ignored. So you can split up move into 2 moves or increase limit. Also make sure to reset position using G92 E0 at the beginning and end of your insert script.
    First off thank you for your reply..

Ok, I have set the amount to retract at 150 and the un-do retract to 150, still after the first retract the filament will not feed back to hotend, just starts trying to print with filament retracted the 150mm and then upon filament change again it retracts another 150mm..

As for the "Also make sure to reset position using G92 E0 at the beginning and end of your insert script" part, I know nothing about inserting g-code, Repetier makes all the g-code, I have never messed with g-code so where should it be placed, any good online tutorials on this?? 
  • Repetier said:
    Check config file. There is a max. extrusion length per move. I think that is around 100 normally. So maybe your move is just longer and move is ignored. So you can split up move into 2 moves or increase limit. Also make sure to reset position using G92 E0 at the beginning and end of your insert script.
    I have max. extrusion length per move set to 160, im only trying to get the filament to be pushed 150 so that shouldn't be the problem
  • In firmware you can select 2 gcode scripts for select and unselect extruder. That is where you would add the code to switch filaments. In unselect you would write gcode to retract and in select the code to insert it.

You can test the codes manually in host manual control to see which commands work. Just saying repetier writes the code is not really a solution with special problems. You need to know at least the basic G commands as described in the repetier.ino file of the firmware. You need to know what you are doing to understand what is needed and how it works.

For now I assume you just have the wrong gcode then. Probably even at the wrong place. Also you can of course put it in the slicer config as well. But then you can not just switch extruder by sending T1 or T0 as that would block.