strange behaviour - Autolevel not working

Hello everyone,

I ran into issues while setting up autoleveling on my P802 printer.

I set up a z-max endstop and home to z-max with G28, this is working fine. My z-max endstop is hooked up to the z-min-pin of my Melzi 2.0 Board and wired in parallel with the Z-Probe sensor.

When I send the G32 S2 command, the extruder starts going towards z-min and goes to the first probing position. As soon as the z-pobe-sensor triggers, I get an error message in Repetier Host, telling me
"Error: z-probe did not untrigger on repetitive measurement - maybe you need to increase distance!
Error:Probing had returned errors - autoleveling canceled."
The display shows "idle" and, depending on other settings, either the x-axis or the x- and z- axis move towards their endstops very slowly until they run into them.

I tried increasing the Z_PROBE_SWITCHING_DISTANCE, but this does not help since the z-axis does not move up at all.
I also tried M500 and changing the eeprom_mode, but this also does not help.

I searched the Forum and googled every keyword i could imagine but found nothing that helped.

I appreciate any tips ans support, I'm out of ideas. Thank you for your Time!

Jagi

// #################### Z-Probing #####################

#define Z_PROBE_Z_OFFSET 0
#define Z_PROBE_Z_OFFSET_MODE 0
#define UI_BED_COATING 1
#define FEATURE_Z_PROBE 1
#define Z_PROBE_BED_DISTANCE 10
#define Z_PROBE_PIN ORIG_Z_MIN_PIN
#define Z_PROBE_PULLUP 0
#define Z_PROBE_ON_HIGH 0
#define Z_PROBE_X_OFFSET -30
#define Z_PROBE_Y_OFFSET 65
#define Z_PROBE_WAIT_BEFORE_TEST 0
#define Z_PROBE_SPEED 2
#define Z_PROBE_XY_SPEED 100
#define Z_PROBE_SWITCHING_DISTANCE 5
#define Z_PROBE_REPETITIONS 3
#define Z_PROBE_HEIGHT 3
#define Z_PROBE_START_SCRIPT ""
#define Z_PROBE_FINISHED_SCRIPT ""
#define Z_PROBE_REQUIRES_HEATING 0
#define Z_PROBE_MIN_TEMPERATURE 150
#define FEATURE_AUTOLEVEL 1
#define Z_PROBE_X1 70
#define Z_PROBE_Y1 70
#define Z_PROBE_X2 250
#define Z_PROBE_Y2 70
#define Z_PROBE_X3 70
#define Z_PROBE_Y3 250
#define BED_LEVELING_METHOD 1
#define BED_CORRECTION_METHOD 0
#define BED_LEVELING_GRID_SIZE 4
#define BED_LEVELING_REPETITIONS 5
#define BED_MOTOR_1_X 0
#define BED_MOTOR_1_Y 0
#define BED_MOTOR_2_X 200
#define BED_MOTOR_2_Y 0
#define BED_MOTOR_3_X 100
#define BED_MOTOR_3_Y 200
#define BENDING_CORRECTION_A 0
#define BENDING_CORRECTION_B 0
#define BENDING_CORRECTION_C 0
#define FEATURE_AXISCOMP 0
#define AXISCOMP_TANXY 0
#define AXISCOMP_TANYZ 0
#define AXISCOMP_TANXZ 0

Comments

• I think you are confusing the firmware by having the Z max(homing) AND a Z min probe on he same input pin.

Why cant you connect the Z max endstop to the Z max input pin  and leave the Z min probe on the Z min pin

• As far as I can see, there are only 3 endstop pins on my Melzi Board, so I had to wire two of my four connected switches to one Endstop. Do you think it might work better, if I try to use x and y endstops in parallel and use the other two pins for Z_max and Zprobe?

Thanks for your answer, if I have time tonight, I might just try the different wiring.
  • I deed you can not have z min and max at same pin! If min triggers it also triggers z max meaning it can not go up.

If you tell firmware to move back after homing a axis so that the axis untriggers, you can use the same pin for x and y endstop. That would be no problem.
  • edited October 2017
    Once you read it like this it totally makes sense :D Thanks!

• Tested it yesterday with Z-probe in parallel to x_min and it finally works.

Thanks a lot!
  • One last thing: When Autolevel procedure is finished, the y axis moves towards y_max, but since I have no hardware endstop it crashes.

Why does it ignore y_max_length and why does it move anyway?
    If you need my config.h please let me know, I am currently not at home but I can upload it later.
  • You dont need a mechanical Z endstop if you are using a Z probe.
    You can tell firmware to use the probe as the Z min endstop, thus only needing 3 enstop pins, X Y probe.

• It activates extruder after probing so the offset from z probe gets undone which can be an extra y move. If it crashes your last probe point is at a bad y position not allowing activating extruder again.
  • Ok, I'm currently working on my other printer, but I will try to get the offset right when I have time.
    Thank you very much