RADDS, Repetier and PWM

edited September 2017 in Questions & Answers
Hello. I have RADDS+Due combo on 24V PSU and supposedly PWM can be set for each power output on the board. I use 24v bed, 2x 24v extruder heaters and i want to use 3 12v fans. I only managed to set PWM for board fan, i measued output for it and it's just below 12v, so just how i want it. But i can't find any option in Repetier firmware to set PWM for other fans. Is it possibe?

Only thing that i managed to do (but i'm not happy with it) is modyfing commands.cpp file line:
setFan2Speed(com->hasS() ? com->S : 255 ) to setFan2Speed(com->hasS() ? com->S : 128), same goes of setFanSpeed

It blocks max fan power at 50% but kickstart runs with 24v so i'm afraid it'll burn my fans.

Does anyone have any soultion/ideas for this problem besides buying additional hardware?

Comments

• Ok, just added the feature to dev version. You can now set
    #define MAX_FAN_PWM 128
    and it should limit PWM to that value. Please check if I'm right and implementation is correct. Just tested myself that 255 is still working. Tried also to include kickstart.

But remember that it is PWM with 16Hz so it is on average 12V but just in average.
  • Thanks, i will try this when i get home from work, could you also add this to FAN2? I have board fan at Heater3 output and as i said it work. But both other fans are at FAN and FAN2 and i'd like to use both at 12V.
  • It's for ALL M106 controlled fans. This includes fan2 as well:-) All other fans have already a maximum speed setting so I did not touch them.
  • Great! :) Thanks, i'll try this as soon as i can and post my feedback.
  • I forgot to mention that I have a different solution. M106 S255 gives the maximum power you allow. That way hosts etc. can still use the full range and internally it is scaled down to your maximum pwm rate.
  • Ok there is little progress ;) Print cooling fan now works correctly with function you've added to configuration. But it looks like extruder fan is controlled differently and its PWM is still 255
  • edited September 2017
    I've also tried this setting: EXT0_EXTRUDER_COOLER_SPEED but it doesn't work for me. Whatever i type into there there is always stable 24V output on extruder cooler pins. I'm using chimera type extuder so i have 2 extruders that use one 1 cooler, i've also added #define SHARED_COOLER 1 into the Configuration.h file.
  • Exruder cooler should always have EXT0_EXTRUDER_COOLER_SPEED or 0 set. Therefore it does no extra constrain and should be set to 128 from you. Will have a look into sources if I see an error with handling.
  • Hm i don't think i uderstand. In firmware configurator this option is called Cooler PWM speed and with samller letters there is EXT0_EXTRUDER_COOLER_SPEED. By default it's set to 255. Same goes for EXT1_EXTRUDER_COOLER_SPEED. When i change this value to 128 nothing happens.
  • I think everything is ok. You have overlooked that is stored in eeprom and there you still have 255 from first upload. Change it there in eeprom editor and it should be ok.
  • You're right, eeprom values were different than those in firmware. I've changed them and now everything works great:) Thank you for help :)