Dual Extruder with single work cooling fan

Hi Repetier, I've got two extruders but am only using a single print cooling fan with a nozzle directed under each hot end. Firmware is the development 1.0.0dev As both nozzles use the same print cooling fan I set both the "Print cooling fan pin" and "Print second fan pin" to the same output (heater 3). Unfortunately with this setup the print cooling fan will not run. I've tried setting up both extruders individually with the other print fan disabled and it works fine. From this I'm guessing that the in use extruder is commanding the output "on" whilst the second extruder is simultaneously commanding the same output to "off". Is this the case and is there a remedy for it (I haven't got any more outputs available on the control board). Thanks as always for your patience and time. Cheers,

Comments

• If we talk about same cooler fan use same pin for both plus add
    #define SHARED_COOLER 1

to tell firmware that it is shared. So it enables if one of them is hot.

Be aware that print cooling fan is a different fan used for M106/M107 commands.
  • Thank you for the reply, It is the print cooling fan that is shared. The extruders are individually cooled above the hot ends and set to run whenever the hot end temperature is above 35degrees. Do I need to add this comment in directly to INO file under the pins.h tab? Or can it be done in the configuration tool? It is the print cooling fan pin (FAN_PIN) under the "features" tab so using M106/M107 plus M106/M107 P1. Thanks again
  • You can simply put it in manual additions in config tool, but that is for cooling fan not print fan.

FAN_PIN is the one controlled with M106 and that is a shared fan anyways. Most slicers do not even support generating gcode for more then one print cooler. So printer with several print coolers all use the same output. This is also not a extruder setting and independent from cooling fans defined per extruder.
  • All now working thank you :smiley: