Two controlable fans under RAMPS 1.4

Hi!

Is there any solution for two controllable fans under RAMPS 1.4?

To clarify, I use extruder cooler driven from D9. It turns on over 120 Celsius degrees, and turns off below. I like this behavior, because it's easier to heat up a bed. Now I would like add print cooling fan. What's interesting in web configuration tool I can choose from Fan pin and Fan 2 pin. Where is that mysterious Fan 2 pin? Is it software controllable (like D9) or 12V hot all the time?

Can I somehow use any of digital pins to control fan by M106 comand?

Comments

• Fan 2 is only a placeholder and not used in RAMPS. You can use the heated bed output for the second fan or you buy a fan extender that allows 2 additional fans on RAMPS. Then you have to set the Dxxx pin number where the extender is connected to.
  • Thanks for the reply!

Is that device you mentioned built upon MOSFET similar to one which controls D9? I've got one spare MOSFET I could use it for such purpose.
  • I meant this extender:

But you can also build one your self. It's really low tech.
  • Hello. I am making a dual extruder printer using Ramps 1.4 board. I can't use D9 because I have two extruders, is there any alternative to that. even a 5v pin can run my print fans.
  • What is wrong with the solution I posted directly above you? It gives you 2 fan outputs even with 12V on unused pins. It's the only buyable solution I know. But you can solder such a board also yourself. Just 2 mosfets connected to 2 free pins driving a 12v lane.
  • What is wrong with the solution I posted directly above you? It gives you 2 fan outputs even with 12V on unused pins. It's the only buyable solution I know. But you can solder such a board also yourself. Just 2 mosfets connected to 2 free pins driving a 12v lane.
    Hi Repetier,
    could you please show us the detail step by step how to setup the firmware for using this RepRap Ramps 1.4 Fan Extender? I google any step by step for Repetier firmware and found nothing.
    I suppose you do this manually (on Notepad) after the firmware built by the Repetier-Firmware configuration tool, is that true?
    Thank you!
  • No, you can do that in the config tool as well. Just select the digital pin of the extender instead of FAN_PIN when assigning the pin for the fan function. I think the pin numbers for my extender were 5 and 6 but you can easily see that on the ramps diagram on www.reprap.org which shows which pins have which numbers. 
  • Please clarify for the beginners. Is FAN_1, which I have running under Repetier Host command wired to Arduino Mega 2650 pin D9, intended for extruder cooling or print cooling?  I think I have the Config set to turn this fan on when extruder temp exceeds 50 C, which the thermistor says is happening and PLA can be extruded.  However, this fan only turns on under manual control from Repetier Host mouse control.  Please explain.

Thank you,

• You can use it as you like. If you assign it to print cooling which is the default it will be controlled with M106/M107. You can also disable print cooling and assign it to the extruder fan cooler pin.
  • Would this controller work? Its available on prime vs the one recommended above.
  • Yes, the RioRand RRD fan extender works fine on my RAMPS 1.4 board.  The RRD extender has a connector that covers up all four rows of pins for D11, D6, D5, D4.  But it only has support for two fan extenders.  I plugged it so that it only covers D5 and D4, which works fine.  D11 and D6 are still free for other uses.