Extruder Motor Runs Correctly Then Slows Down

So we were running extrusion calibration/tests on this machine we just finished building. Basically we were just doing 50mm extrudes from Repetier Host and measuring the distance pushed out the Bowden feeder. We were able to achieve a good calibration where we consistently hit 50mm extruded.

So here is where it gets weird... Usually after the first or second successful try sending 50mm extrude command the extruder motor starts rotating super slow and we get like half or less of 50mm extruded. We have eliminated responsibility from all hardware and we know this is a firmware issue. We have swapped out motors, drivers, control boards, etc ... We have made sure that electrical systems are stable and delivering proper voltage. We don't have the same issue in our X Y and Z motion at all.

If we turn the unit off and back on we can get it to properly output and the motor is quiet and smooth then just like clock work on usually the third try it sounds like a slower pulse to the motor and the motor is rotating a lot slower...

I will attach a video to a second post to give you a better understanding. Might take me some time so please comment if you have any ideas.

AZTEEG X3 PRO
TRINAMIC 2100 DRIVERS RUNNING 1/16 256 Interop SpreadCycle -- VREF .9
CORE X Y
BOWDEN
VEXTA .9 Degree Stepper Motors On X Y Z & Extruders

Comments

• Just tried it with a different board and it worked as expected. Then updated my stacker which has a Azteeg X3 Pro and it also worked. Different drivers and steps per degree but that should not play a role for this problem. Can you provide a Configuration.h with the values form your eeprom in it (in case you have modified it). Then I could try it with the azteeg printer again to see if you have some feature combination causing this.

Also try for repeatability. From reset onwards run your steps
    M302 S1
    G91
    G1 E50 F600
    G1 E50 F600
    G1 E50 F600

does the same error always happen at same G1 command then?

• 1ST SET

#1 TEST: Perfect 50mm
    #2 TEST: 45mm however just before this point the motor started slowing down for the last 5mm falling short of 50mm
    #3 TEST: The motor from the beginning was slow the same as the end of the last test -- it went a total of 17mm

POWERED OFF THEN POWERED ON

2ND SET

#1 TEST: Perfect 50mm
    #2 TEST: 45mm however just before this point the motor started slowing down for the last 5mm falling short of 50mm
    #3 TEST: The motor from the beginning was slow the same as the end of the last test -- it went a total of 17mm

What is weird is this is almost exactly, a 1/3rd of the 50mm we are trying to extrude. We ran a 150mm extrude and it resulted in exactly 50mm ?

Also please note that beyond a power on/off event we are unable to get the machine to extrude 50mm again accurately.

Look forward to your response. Thank you very much for your help.

• Any luck recreating the issue?

• Hadn't the time for testing so far. It is quite time consuming to test.
  • Ok, today I tested your configuration with current dev version.

Modifications I did:
    1. Disable eeprom to not destroy my calibraions.
    2. Fix enable/invert signal for stepper I have
    3. Select Azteeg X3 Pro board (why did you select ramps if you say you have a azteeg btw.)

Then extruded 50 or 100mm a time up to 400mm and everything was ok, no visible slowdown.
    When you say slowdown how much do you mean? What speeds were you using in case it matters.

I think you gave me the wrong firmware since it was also for a cartesian and not for core xy as you said, so nothing matches and there is no problem with that version.
  • Yeah we were able to get this working with the Dev version a few days ago... But not with the current stable release. We will move to the dev version to go forward. I will have to look at the cartesian vs core xy issue we didn't notice this - thank you for bringing it to our attention.