Hardware 3 point bed leveling - steppers B & C disabling after G32 alow bed to fall out of level

After much troubleshooting I've discovered that after the bed levels steppers B and C disable and freewheel enough that my 12 lb (yes, 12 pound) bed slips down the lead screws. Is there an option in firmware to require all Z axis steppers to stay engaged after a G32 sequence?

RADDS v1.5 board on Due
RAPS128 Drivers

Currently 1.0.0dev firmware, 3 point mechanical hardware leveling with mini IR height sensor
SparkLabs - SparkCube XL modified printer

Thanks!

Comments

• I guess you mean

#define DISABLE_Z false
    /* If you want to keep z motor running on stepper timeout, remove comments below.
      This may be useful if your z bed moves when motors are disabled. Will still
      turn z off when heaters get also disabled. 
    */
    #define PREVENT_Z_DISABLE_ON_STEPPER_TIMEOUT

that would always keep z axis on. Does not work if you use motorized bedleveling, therefor go to BedLeveling.cpp function
    void correctAutolevel(GCode *code,Plane &plane) {
    and comment near function end

motor2->disable();

motor3->disable(); // now bed is even

Let me know if that was the problem, then I might need to think about a option for this. My printer has extra motors and steppers burn out if I don't disable them. So that might need an extra option.

• If I comment out the following lines:

//motor2->disable();

//motor3->disable(); // now bed is even

the G32 sequence Fails:

fatal:G32 leveling failed! Printer stopped and heaters disabled due to this error. Fix error and restart with M999

Maybe I'm missing a step to this, I'm not much of a coder.

• Spoke too soon, I rebooted the board and Pi server and it leveled correctly and all the Z motors stayed active after. Now to try a print, I'll report back an other issues. 
  • Print worked well, I can get a tighter tolerance on the nozzle height because I'm not fighting a moving bed anymore :-) I checked the motor and stepper temps and they stayed normal. 

I guess if you were going to change the coding there could be a timeout on the Z stepper disable, I only had issues when the motors would disable right between the G32 leveling sequence and the start of the print. Otherwise it doesn't really matter unless you are setting up for the first time and trying to manually verify your bed is flat.

Thanks for the quick help!