Led lighting

I'm currently running the 1.0dev branch on my Kossel.

I recently bought a roll of 5050 LED's, end goal I want the led's to change colour depending on the stage of hotend temp for heating & different colours of different print states eg red for heating, blue ready, green for done and white while printing.

I found this on the repetier github

Just wondering if it still works and do I need to use an amplifier as it's only a meter of led's or if anyone has achieved using LED's and repetier. I know the function exist's in Marlin.

Comments

• That solution still works but is for a special hardware. If you have pure chains you need to check 5V/12V. In any case you can not use a simple output but need a amplified output. Chips only deliver 10-20mA which is just enough for a single small led.
  • That solution still works but is for a special hardware. If you have pure chains you need to check 5V/12V. In any case you can not use a simple output but need a amplified output. Chips only deliver 10-20mA which is just enough for a single small led.
    Awesome, I'll buy some mini amplifiers for them. I'll also look into modifying that example for a mega2560 / ramps 1.4
  • Yes modding the example should be straight forward. Instead of using I2C just put pin on/off.
  • Hey! Sorry for bumping the post, but I was just about to post the same question.

As I'm not really a coder (I know the very *basics* of Arduino, but protocols like i2c or an entire 3D printer firmware are out of my reach), I'd really appreciate some help.

I did however manage to build a small circuit with three MOSFETs to drive a "plain" RGB led strip. I'd like to get the functionality from Maker's Toolwork LED strip code working on my MEGA2560/RAMPS 1.4. Fingerguns, did you manage to get it working?

The approach I had in mind was using the exact same code as the MTW example from GitHub, and driving it with a separate Arduino (I have a spare Duemilanove, but I was thinking about getting a Nano for this task) connected to the 2560/RAMPS via i2c.

But now I see it could be done on the MEGA itself (I need 3 PWM pins to drive my LED circuit). Anyone wishing to help a coding noob get the job done? I really want to finish my build, I occupied half our flat with screws and tools, and if I don't finish soon (I've been working on this printer for the last 6 months...), my girlfriend (she has a little bit of OCD when it comes to keeping the flat nice and tidy) is threatening to save my genetic material in the freezer (she appreciates my geek genes...) and turn me into an eunuch right after :)

So, as you see, I'm really needing some help ;)

Thanks in advance,
    Cheers,
    Seb
  • I think the pwm is main problem, at least if you talk about hardware pwm. Many timers are already used by firmware (0-3 I think) so you can only use 4 and 5 free, but they are bound to specific pins which may not be free to use on your board. If they are you have luck and it gets easy. Otherwise use HAL timer to write software pwm like we do for heaters.
  • Is there any chance you could provide some kind of basic example? From what I've seen, there are tons of people trying to get their LED strip to work using Repetier, but all the solutions stop at: "Use the event system"... There is no documentation to help someone not skilled enough  get it to work... I mean, I'm already considering a switch to Marlin, where supposedly getting this functionality to work is much easier...

So, could anyone with more programming knowledge help me (and everyone else trying to do it) get this done? It's not rocket science for someone that knows their way around the firmware... C'mon, help us out! :)

Thanks!
    Seb