Z motors for bed leveling

edited February 2016 in Extruder & Bed
Hi all.
I just came up with a good plan and then realized the flaw.
I was thinking as most printers use 2 motors for the z drive it may be possible to level the bed, at least in one axis, by driving them independently. Of course they are wired up in parallel so this is not possible unless...........

perhaps one of the 'spare' extruder headers could be configured for the second z motor and used the level the bed after z probing?

Comments

• For beds moved with 3 motors this is possible:-) But they level x and y axis. What you plan is only x axis and still correct for y axis. That might be nice so double extruders have always same height after correction.
  • Yes was thinking could level one axis at least without additional hardware.
    Am about to start my second DIY build and trying to decide 2 or 1 motors on z axis. Last one used one and belts and was very successful.
    I liked being able to grab the motor and 'tweak' the first layer height as it was going down.

• On the other hand this type requires the x carriage to be horizontal or you increase friction on your spindle. So setting them to adjust the rotated bed is working against this. For a small difference this is ok, but you still need to correct z over print. So it is a solution between light improvement and useless depending on point of view.