extruder won't extrude

Hi all,
long time lurker, first time poster. 

I have a custom printer that I'm trying to use to print at high temps (>400C) and I need some help being able to code it to dry run. I think that the code stops the printer from running unless it's at my threshold temp.  I'm still trying to trouble shoot and can't get the extruder motor to run when commanded.

I've connected the extruder to the x axis (same motor, etc) so I know the motor works

first some specs.
XYZ cartesian
NEMA 17's. 80oz in
Azteeg X3 Pro with SD8825 drivers (direct from Panucatt)
and running Repetier V.91 firmware. (I tried switching to v.92 but it gave me some errors with mixed floating vs. integer math. I don't know about coding, so I didn't know what to do and reverted to the previously working version)
Repetier host for using manual control.

Questions:
1) is there a way to make the extruder move when cold (I'm guessing this is the problem)
2) Maybe I'm exceeding the max capabilities of the repetier software - I set the max to 1000C, does the software see that as a thermistor failure?
3) I'm not really a coder, but I have done it before. is this something in the code that I'll have to customize? if so, can you point me to where the problem might be?

Thanks!

Comments

• First check what temperatures your thermistor and the included tables can handle. 
    /** Extreme values to detect defect thermistors. */
    #define MIN_DEFECT_TEMPERATURE -10
    #define MAX_DEFECT_TEMPERATURE 300
    Must be adjusted ti handle it and of course your max allowed temperature.

In 0.92 you can use M302 S1 to allow cold extrusion. Not sure why you get compilation errors, unless you are using a old compiler (while 0.91 only compiles with old compilers).