Homing backoff for Z?

I'm new to cartesian printers - spent the last 4 years with deltas. On a delta, home is at the top so the nozzle is well off the print surface. On my Taz cartesian printer, home is at the bed (Z=0). I use PEI as a print surface so it is not a good idea to leave the nozzle touching the bed when it is at temperature. I searched through the configuration file looking for a "homing back off" but could not find anything. This is not an issue when printing as I can insert some code in my slicer header, but homing from the command line or LCD display leaves the nozzle touching the bed. Is there a way to move it up say 5-10mm?

cheers
Michael

Comments

• No, you always need to move manually or use z max homing instead.

You could add a z move after homing in the firmware code if you really want this. Only drawback is that hosts may show wrong coordinates then.
  • Thanks for the reply. I might add z max homing then.
  • Good idea! Z max has many advantages e.g. after print you home z max to get out of way, you can recalibrate after filament exchange and it is easier to adjust height - just change z length the amount you think you need correction.