MKS Base reboots when start heating

edited February 17 in Motherboard
I have a 3D printer MKS Gen L 2.0 motherboard, Repetier 3.0 firmware. It has been working with no issues for the last 3 years, but then it started to reboot every time I try to heat the hot end (no matter if it's pre heat, testing or trying to print a file). Motherboard LED blinks blue twice and then LCD screen indicates the reboot.
I was told it could be a heater cartridge issue, so I changed it to a new one. Firstly it worked fine, but soon the issue started do happen again. So, I tried to unplug all other hot end devices (fan, LED, etc), but the issue continued. Since I used a Wago connector to install the new heater cartridge, I just unplugged it and then the printer didn't reboot (but - obviously - didn't heated either).
Now comes the funny part: sometimes when I tried to start the pre heat function, and then plug heater cartridge's wire into Wago connector, the printer started to heat the hot end and I was able to print something (YES, I know it's not safe, but I was desperate). But, when this sort-of-success happens, it seems that the power sent to the fan and LED is weakened, and the temperature itself takes more time to reach the maximum.
Thinking that it could be some short circuit in heater cartridge cables, I tried to connect a new one directly into the motherboard, but the same issue happens.
I don't know what else to do, and I can't find a proper tech support for my printer in my city. Does anyone have any idea of what is happening?

Comments

• Connect it to a host and watch console with output. Sounds like it should show brown out as reason for restart. Means 5v did go down too much so cpu rebootet. Other reason could be triggering reset but would not know why.

Could be the mosfet for the heater is defect causing 5v to drop as well also it should only change 24v. You coud try and connect it to the other extruder output and change the heaterpin in the configuration. If it is a defect mosfet that would fix it.
  • I have a 3D printer MKS Gen L 2.0 motherboard, Repetier 3.0 firmware. It has been working with no issues for the last 3 years, but then it started to reboot every time I try to heat the hot end (no matter if it's pre heat, testing or trying to print a file). Motherboard LED blinks blue twice and then LCD screen indicates the reboot.
    I was told it could be a heater cartridge issue, so I changed it to a new one. Firstly it worked fine, but soon the issue started do happen again. So, I tried to unplug all other hot end devices (fan, LED, etc), but the issue continued. Since I used a Wago connector to install the new heater cartridge, I just unplugged it and then the printer didn't reboot (but - obviously - didn't heated either).
    Now comes the funny part: sometimes when I tried to start the pre heat function, and then plug heater cartridge's wire into Wago connector, the printer started to heat the hot end and I was able to print something (YES, I know it's not safe, but I was desperate). But, when this sort-of-success happens, it seems that the power sent to the fan and LED is weakened, and the temperature itself takes more time to reach the maximum.
    Thinking that it could be some short circuit in heater cartridge cables, I tried to connect a new one directly into the motherboard, but the same issue happens.
    I don't know what else to do, and I can't find a proper tech support for my printer in my city. Does anyone have any idea of what is happening?
    While the "Wago connection trick" may work sometimes, it is certainly not a safe long-term solution. Faulty connections can lead to overheating or even fire. If none of these suggestions work, you may have to consider replacing the motherboard. Hope you can find a solution to get your printer working again safely!