Uploading Firmware to SKR Mini e3 V2

So im used to uploading firmware to my Arduino Mega 2560 boards but not to my SKR mini.

Ive explored a couple of options but couldnt get any to work. I tried uploading the firmware.bin then using the option "copy firmware as firmware.bin to sd card" but that doesnt seem to do anything, it doesnt seem to load the new firmware.

My normal process is to put the SD card in the PC, delete the current firmware file then replace it with a new firmware.bin.

I wonder if repetier could be configured to do the same thing?

Comments

• What copy firmware as firmware.bin does is copying the firmware to the start of the folder you have selected. On my skr 1.3 it is offered as usb drive so it is usb 1 in my pi image. On a PC you need to add the folder that points to it. All it does is just copy the file. The update runs on the next reset of the board which you need to trigger your self or with a command if your firmware supports it. M997 for marlin.
  • I have repetier server running on a raspberry pi connected to 2 machines. The SKR mini is connected via usb, so how do I know which folder to add?
  • Check the folders in /media - one of them should contain FIRMWARE.CUR - that is the one you want. The use the folder from gloabl settings->folders that points to this directory in firmware updater.
  • There are no folders in /media when I view it from repetier server
  • I believe I have resolved it. I needed to build my firmware for STM32F103RC_btt_512K_USB

I had STM32F103RC_btt_512K which I guess didnt have the relevant USB setup. The Media/Flash folder now shows.
  • Chip is the same I guess but _USB seems the option to have this upload folder offered from firmware.
  • So whilst I can actually upload to this area... it doesnt seem to do this. Im connected via Putty and im looking at the directory on the SD card and the upload firmware doesnt actually upload the file.
  • What folder? USB Stick 1 gets mounted to /media/flash so there should FIRMWARE.CUR appear when mounted and if you select that for upload it should be target.

Please be more precise/descriptive - what folders did you select use and what did putty show on which folder. Did
    mount
    show it as mounted? ...
  • Repetier said:
    What folder? USB Stick 1 gets mounted to /media/flash so there should FIRMWARE.CUR appear when mounted and if you select that for upload it should be target.

Please be more precise/descriptive - what folders did you select use and what did putty show on which folder. Did
    mount
    show it as mounted? ...
    So when I browsed the directory, putty showed the FIRMWARE.CUR

Then if I try to do an upload to that same folder, it looks like nothing happens. Even if I delete the FIRMWARE.CUR then upload my new Firmware.bin it simply doesnt seem to load that firmware even after a restart.
  • So you see the file appear in the folder?
    Normally after M997 (is supported) it updates and renames the file.
  • So im getting this:

Uploading firmware binary ...
    Stopping printer connection
    Old firmware file /media/flash/FIRMWARE.CUR did not exist. Maybe you are using the wrong directory!
    Copy to /media/flash/firmware.bin
    Reset printer or send M997 to install new version.
    Upload finished
    Reactivating printer connection ...
    Firmware upload finished.

Interesting that it couldnt find the Firmware.cur....

I cant see any other directory that it might be in.
  • pi@Repetier-Server:/media/flash $ dir
    pi@Repetier-Server:/media/flash $ ls

Im in this directory on putty... and I see nothing in there.

The Pi is definitely connected to the SKR v2 as I can see it on Repetier server. But as you can see the folders are empty, there should be a firmware.cur in there.

• Did some googling and stumbled across a comment that said I should run this "sudo apt-get install usbmount"

I did that and restarted the pi. I also made sure I unplugged all my other printers that are connected to the same pi. Then doing the upload to same folder worked. I wonder if it was getting confused as to which SD card to mount to.
  • For future people... if the directory still doesnt show up, reboot the pi. It seems like sometimes for whatever reason it cannot see the folder properly.