All printer disconnection

It has happened to me a couple of times that the 4 printers that I have connected stop and I lose all my jobs.

This happened after I turned off one of the printers to restart it while the others were working.

Despite having turned it off, the LCD screen was still on, although with less intensity. What makes me think: Could it be that the raspberry pi tries to power the printer and it falls short?

When all the work stopped I did 2 things. One was to turn off the printer and another to disconnect the usb cable from the printer. But I don't remember the order now.

Could it be that rasperry with Repetier is so sensitive to this kind of operations?

PD: the reason I disconnected the one printer it is because the work I was doing was stopped, as if on pause, but every 10 seconds it moved a little.

Comments

• Kyuga said:
    It has happened to me a couple of times that the 4 printers that I have connected stop and I lose all my jobs.

This happened after I turned off one of the printers to restart it while the others were working.

Despite having turned it off, the LCD screen was still on, although with less intensity. What makes me think: Could it be that the raspberry pi tries to power the printer and it falls short?

When all the work stopped I did 2 things. One was to turn off the printer and another to disconnect the usb cable from the printer. But I don't remember the order now.

Could it be that rasperry with Repetier is so sensitive to this kind of operations?

PD: the reason I disconnected the one printer it is because the work I was doing was stopped, as if on pause, but every 10 seconds it moved a little.
    I feel discouraged by this.... now I moved to SD printing agian until I can fix this and know the cause. I can't afford to lose jobs from so many hours of printing.
  • Raspberry is well known for power sensitivity.
    1st as power sensitive itself
    2nd limited usb output power.

you can solve the problem by external powered usb hub or by cutting respectively masking the +5V connection
    in usb connection cable so the printers cannot pull power from usb.

• RAyWB said:
    Raspberry is well known for power sensitivity.
    1st as power sensitive itself
    2nd limited usb output power.

you can solve the problem by external powered usb hub or by cutting respectively masking the +5V connection
    in usb connection cable so the printers cannot pull power from usb.

thanks for the reply.

I already mask the 5v pin of the usb cables since none of my printers need usb power. I think that fixes my problem for now. I also changed the SD card for a 128gb and faster.

I have a question: I need more usb ports and i plan to buy a usb hub. In this case the hub needs to be self powered? since it will not feed any printer. Or does the hub itself consumes power? What would you recommend.
  • Hub of course also uses a bit of power. If you have no components using power a passive one is enough. If you add other devices like webcam that also use power it depends on how much they use and how good the pi power supply is. When you see the bolt icon getting orange or red you know you have a power problem.
  • Repetier said:
    Hub of course also uses a bit of power. If you have no components using power a passive one is enough. If you add other devices like webcam that also use power it depends on how much they use and how good the pi power supply is. When you see the bolt icon getting orange or red you know you have a power problem.
    Thanks! I'll keep that in mind