Klipper: show wrong temperate when select T1 (shared extruder)

edited December 2019 in Bug Reports
I activated two macros to change the extruder, the second shares heater with the first one.
Repetier Server V0.9.31 when I select T1 shows wrong temperature, for example now T0 is 14.5° and T1 0.0°, always remains at 0.
In the LCD I see instead the two identical temperatures, obviously sharing the same heater are the same.
My Macro:

[gcode_macro T0]
gcode:
    ACTIVATE_EXTRUDER EXTRUDER=extruder

[gcode_macro T1]
gcode:
    ACTIVATE_EXTRUDER EXTRUDER=extruder1

The two extruder setting in Klipper:

[extruder]
step_pin = PD6
dir_pin = !PD3
enable_pin = !PC1
step_distance = 0.0011904761
nozzle_diameter = 0.400
filament_diameter = 1.75
heater_pin = PB27
sensor_type = NTC 100K beta 3950
sensor_pin = PA16
control = pid
pid_kp = 12.770
pid_ki = 0.441
pid_kd = 92.420
min_extrude_temp = 170
min_temp = 0
max_temp = 280

[extruder1]
step_pin = PB26
dir_pin = PA15
enable_pin = !PD1
step_distance = 0.0005952381
nozzle_diameter = 0.400
filament_diameter = 1.75
shared_heater = extruder

Comments

• Did you tell server that T1 is handled by T0 temperature? There is a field "Extruder managing temperatures" which you have to set to 1 for second extruder. Then server shows temperature from T0 instead also for T1.
  • Damn, you're right, thanks!
  • Tried but there is a problem.
    Setting it in that way (here dual extruder but one shared heater) trying to warm up T0 from the menu does not do it, because T1 is at 0, so it does not hold the heater.
    By putting the second extruder on "2" then T0 works.
  • It would be useful to have a separate temperature selector, or the way to switch from one to the other in the menus, without creating a personalized command with T0 and T1.
  • Sorry but I could not follow the problem with putting second extruder on "2". What does that mean and how does the klipper M105 response look like.
  • I'm sorry, the problem is with MK4duo, not with Klipper in that case.
  • Ok, but what is the error with MK4duo? I don't have printers with shared extruder and though also no mk4duo on it. So what is the M105 output and what goes wrong?
  • edited December 2019
    I set T0 to target temp, for example 200°, but T1 in the Server is stay to 0, so overwrite the T0 setting, and don't heat nothing.
    Repetier Server imho missing this combination (shared heater), ie unify the temperatures.
    With the shared heater if I set T0 to 200° T1 must also be set to the same temperature.
    In theory the firmware should think about this, but if it does too Repetier Server is better imho.
  • Tested again now, no issue, no words... :-)
  • Sometimes here i've the same problem, also with Klipper.
  • I found the problem: sometimes, when Klipper restarts, the primary extruder (T0) is not detected by Repetier Server, if you change the temperature from the extruder menu it reads "NaN".
    Just enter the printer settings, give "save configuration" and at that point it detects it correctly, so it is a problem of Repetier Server with Klipper.
  • Same problem with MK4duo, so there's a bug in the Server.
  • How frequent does that happen. If you have connected log activated in logging, can you send a sample where it happened. My only printer with shared heater is Prusa MKS3 and there I never saw it so far. So question is if there is some different temperature response sometimes at start that confuses the interpreter. Apperently it corrects it self after reinit with your config save trick also I see not why it should reinit without any changes.
  • The temperature problem with Klipper has not been resolved even in version 0.94.
  • edited June 2020
    Just do a reset of Klipper and this shows up. To return to the possibility of changing the temperature just click on the home icon, re-select the printer and then you can change it, so it's a server problem, please fix it!

• Hi,
    I've the same problem. Have you any solutions?

Thanks
  • I heard reloading webpage fixes it.

My problem is no one gave me a hint how to create that problem. When I use klipper I do not get it. My M105 responses are:
    Recv:19:19:10.056: ok B:26.5 /0.0 T0:26.1 /0.0
    Recv:19:19:11.057: ok B:26.3 /0.0 T0:26.2 /0.0
    Recv:19:19:12.057: ok B:26.4 /0.0 T0:26.2 /0.0
    Recv:19:19:13.057: ok B:26.4 /0.0 T0:26.0 /0.0
    Recv:19:19:14.067: ok B:26.5 /0.0 T0:26.0 /0.0
    Recv:19:19:15.068: ok B:26.6 /0.0 T0:26.0 /0.0
    Recv:19:19:16.068: ok B:26.6 /0.0 T0:25.9 /0.0

And I get no NaN. The question is here does the invalid number get into the queue.
    If you activate connected.log how does it look when you get the NaN?
    What do you need to do to get it? I restarted server and did not get it I Restarted klipper no problem. Reloaded webpage and still no problem.

So if you you post the connected.log and some hints on how to produce the error I might be able to fix it.
  • edited June 2020
    Repetier said:
    I heard reloading webpage fixes it.

My problem is no one gave me a hint how to create that problem. When I use klipper I do not get it. My M105 responses are:
    Recv:19:19:10.056: ok B:26.5 /0.0 T0:26.1 /0.0
    Recv:19:19:11.057: ok B:26.3 /0.0 T0:26.2 /0.0
    Recv:19:19:12.057: ok B:26.4 /0.0 T0:26.2 /0.0
    Recv:19:19:13.057: ok B:26.4 /0.0 T0:26.0 /0.0
    Recv:19:19:14.067: ok B:26.5 /0.0 T0:26.0 /0.0
    Recv:19:19:15.068: ok B:26.6 /0.0 T0:26.0 /0.0
    Recv:19:19:16.068: ok B:26.6 /0.0 T0:25.9 /0.0

And I get no NaN. The question is here does the invalid number get into the queue.
    If you activate connected.log how does it look when you get the NaN?
    What do you need to do to get it? I restarted server and did not get it I Restarted klipper no problem. Reloaded webpage and still no problem.

So if you you post the connected.log and some hints on how to produce the error I might be able to fix it.

This video show the problem:

I've two extruder with single nozzle, well configured.
    Also look at what happens to the fan0, activating the heater also activates it and shouldn't, it is that of the extruded material.
    I try to produce you a log.

Marco

• Ok I replayed your video. I could see the fan problem and found the reason, so will be fixed in next update. It is just optical as it shows the wrong value but it never gets send to firmware.

Regarding NaN it did not happen, so I guess I can not replay it with single extruder on klipper. But should be pretty easy to see in the log since it happens after you enable temperature. So my guess is that klipper responds with something that causes this to happen. Once I know the output created I will put that into my virtual printer for replay so I can then fix it.
  • edited June 2020
    Repetier said:
    Ok I replayed your video. I could see the fan problem and found the reason, so will be fixed in next update. It is just optical as it shows the wrong value but it never gets send to firmware.

Regarding NaN it did not happen, so I guess I can not replay it with single extruder on klipper. But should be pretty easy to see in the log since it happens after you enable temperature. So my guess is that klipper responds with something that causes this to happen. Once I know the output created I will put that into my virtual printer for replay so I can then fix it.

Nice, thanks Roland!
    Unfortunately it is not something systematically replicable, I am trying now and after repeated FIRMWARE_RESET it does not do it anymore, it is very random.
    I'm looking at the firmware file "Klipper.xml", and I notice that the section concerning the choice of the extruder selection is not here.
    In Klipper T0 and T1 they don't work if you don't insert a macro in the cfg like this (which I put):

[gcode_macro T0]
    gcode =
        ACTIVATE_EXTRUDER EXTRUDER=extruder

[gcode_macro T1]
    gcode =
        ACTIVATE_EXTRUDER EXTRUDER=extruder1

How Repetier Server identify the active extruder (tool)?
    Could this be causing the problem?
    Indeed "NaN" often occurs after Klipper's service restart.
    Here my printer.cfg

• I don't understand why I can't attach a small zip file.
  • Active extruder is just the last T0/T1 command send and extruder at start is always T0. Don't understand why klipper does not know that command. It is quite essential for all cnc machines.

Files are not allowed since our disk space on server is limited and there are so many ways to upload files for free nowadays. 
  • With the latest updates, the problem never occurred.