Multiple Pi's: possible to view all machines from each Pi in one Server instance?

I currently have 6 printers and 2 webcams split evenly across two Pi 3's. One of the reasons I didn't like Octopi is having to maintain separate instances. Just bought the Pro version of Server and hoping there is a way to view all my printers on one Server instance vs two?  TIA

Comments

• edited January 2019
    Additionally, I'm unable to get the Pi V2 cameras to work. They are both plugged in via the ribbon cable but do not show up in the interface and I cannot assign them to printers. 

Also, Have not be able to get remote access setup. One of the biggest reasons I moved to Repetier is because I want to be able to access and issue commands to the printers when I'm at the day job.

If I can get the multiple Server instances combined into one, remote access, and both cameras working I will be thrilled. Otherwise... I may be looking at a refund and switching back to Octopi.

Really hope this is a more "premium" solution for my print shop vs Octopi which is free and easy to use, but lacking in some features that RepServer lists (namely the above three).
  • At the moment each surface can only show one instance with as many printers as there are connected to that printer. What you need is a unifying instance that queries all printers. Also planned for the future it is not available now.

To access remotely from outside you need either a VPN solution which is best solution for security, or enter port forwarding in your router and add yourself to a dynamic name server solution like duckdns to know your ip at any time.

Regarding pi cams - first test if linux sees and supports them:

/usr/bin/vcgencmd get_camera

> supported=1 detected=1

If not you have most likely connected the ribbon cable the wrong way around. Only one side has contacts!

pi@FelixWhite:~ $ ps aux | grep mjpg

root       654  2.1  0.2 108452  2512 ?        Sl    2018 787:57 /usr/local/bin/mjpg_streamer -i /usr/local/lib/mjpg-streamer/input_raspicam.so -fps 15 -x 640 -y 480 -quality 85  -o /usr/local/lib/mjpg-streamer/output_http.so -p 9000 -w /usr/local/share/mjpg-streamer/www -b

pi       27713  0.0  0.0   4372   552 pts/0    S+   07:39   0:00 grep --color=auto mjpg

Should show a instance with port 9000 if using our latest image. You just need to enter that in the printer configuration. Should have a drop down offering it.
  • edited January 2019
    Hi and thanks for the quick response!

1. Ah, I suppose I'm getting closer to a unified view with having 3 printers per tab vs 6 tabs open. If I can get #2 and #3 working I'm a happy camper.
    2. Any recommended VPN solutions that work well with Server?
    3. Pi cams: See below. Which chunk goes into Dynamic Image URL and which into Static Image URL?
    pi@EnderPi-RepetierServer:~ $ /usr/bin/vcgencmd get_camera

supported=1 detected=1

pi@EnderPi-RepetierServer:~ $ ps aux | grep mjpg

root       711  1.7  0.1  80804  1652 ?        Sl   01:41  15:53 /usr/local/bin/mjpg_streamer -i /usr/local/lib/mjpg-streamer/input_raspicam.so -fps 15 -x 640 -y 480 -quality 85  -o /usr/local/lib/mjpg-streamer/output_http.so -p 9000 -w /usr/local/share/mjpg-streamer/www -b

pi       19356  0.0  0.0   4372   540 pts/0    S+   16:24   0:00 grep --color=auto mjpg

• It does not matter which VPN you use. For VPN you need a end point so check what your router supports and just use that.

Webcam looks good as if it is running, so what did you configure in printer setup for webcam?
    http://127.0.0.1:9000/?action=stream
    http://127.0.0.1:9000/?action=snapshot

should be the 2 urls for pi webcam.
  • Thanks for the help! It worked.

1. I've got both cams operating now, just waiting on some longer ribbon cables and to find a good stand/mount that just sits on the desk.
    2. I ended up going with Chrome Remote Desktop as a semi-permanent solution while I search for a VPN solution I feel comfortable exposing my home network to. So far no issues and even the videos stream fine. 

I may just put Pi Zero in all of my Prusa's instead of waiting for the unified interface. That way I can add more cameras with the freed up Pi 3's. 

Thanks again!
  • If you use Pi zero with Prusa read our faq for this. Works great with disabled chrome for me.