Trying to install on Arch

As per title, trying to install Repetier-Server on my Arch system. I know that I'm likely missing something simple, but I can't figure out what's going on here. Usually, the documentation in/around is good enough for me to figure out what's going on with some Googling, but I can't find any leads here. Anyways, linked below is me attempting to start the server with no success+grep+ls of var/lib

http://codepad.org/idwIFHnr

It's stating that it's failing with result 'exit-code', and, unless I'm misinterpreting that, I would expect a code to be attached- and I don't see one. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Andrew

Comments

• Start as
    sudo /opt/RepetierServer/bin/RepetierServer -c /opt/RepetierServer/etc/RepetierServer.xml

and you will see in terminal why it fails or at least chances are higher as you now see full output. Then I can say more on what might be wrong. Can be as easy as a defect xml file it is reading at startup.
  • Apparently, it can't find eeprommap. No idea what that means as of yet, have to look that up.

http://codepad.org/NHDtZKOY
  • Microcontroller memory map for the printer? Anyways, I realized I also didn't explain my installation method. I used the package in the AUR here: 

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/repetier-server/

I don't use a helper, just used makepkg, installed version 0.90.2-4. 
  • Looks like they missed a new file that was added apart from being behind our current release.

Here https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/83540/installing-a-deb-package-on-arch-is-it-possible I read it is possible to install deb packages directly. Since we have no special dependencies just installing that should work and give you latest version. Our install directory is /usr/local/Repetier-Server and not /opt/RepetierServer but that is all I guess.
  • Alright, at least that makes sense. I do prefer to track my programs in pacman, and learning how to compile a package is on my list of things that I should-know-how-to-do-but-don't, so this seems like a perfect time to try. If you don't mind, I'm going to point this out to the package maintainer and link to this thread. Thanks for your help, you've been a fantastic resource.
    Andrew
  • Great. If you have some commands that allow it to install from original deb package, please let me know. I can then make a faq entry to describe how to do it on arch linux. That way all 4 deb versions can be handled with a different linux distro then debian/ubuntu.
  • I know this is an old thread, but I have the same problem. Just started using Manjaro and don't  really know my way around yet. Is there a solution to the missing eeprommap file, or is the solution to install the .deb?
    Thanks, Ian
  • Not super familiar with Manjaro (it still uses Pacman, I assume), but I can say that in terms of the AUR side I submitted an orphan request for the package- hopefully, someone picks it up. Honestly, if you feel comfortable using a second package management system, the .deb is the option with better support.
  • edited September 2019
    AUR maintainer of said package here,
    i redid a lot of the building process lately and updated the package to 0.92.0, and just today to 0.92.3, using said package myself and right now its working properly again.
    I would love to have wifi management functionality in there, but that requires some time from my end to rewrite the pi image bundled scripts.
    Maybe Repetier has some docs for me somewhere on how the repetierserver expects those scripts to work?

the decision to move repetierserver to /opt/ was made to respect FHS

config is adopted to reflect that change on installation

• Not sure if you would like requirements for wifi/mjpg/time zone/mount management. They are quite optimized for a server only distribution, so we could adjust linux behaviour to our needs. So I would at least make it a separate package.

Best is if you run a pi image of us in parallel. Our helper scripts are located all in /usr/local/Repetier-Setup. In bin folder manageWifiAccess is the main script. It requires wifi/eth controlled bei NetworkManager. There are also special scripts to udev manager to use symbolic name to mount usb sticks to defined folder. mjpg_streamer also has udev ruules to automatically start a streamer for each found camera. These are very special behaviours that you only want on a dedicated system to repetier-server. More over we check version of manageWifiAccess during package installation and upgrade it if required, assuming only our version is used. If you need to override this give it a version number quite high so it will be higher then our versions so we do not replace it. But feel free to use the scripts to make the mods.

If you think it makes sense I can make an option for the xml config file to have the setup at a separate and selectable position.
  • i basically use your deb builds, extract them, gather the files required to repackage.
    i can easyly ship my won script which work with archlinux, but i wonder how repetier-server itself detects availability of wifi magenement.
    My main goal is still to have a dedicated repetier-server raspberry pi.
    But instead of based on debian, have it based on archlinux, which especially with the pi3 is faster as it can make use of the x64 bit arm architecture and slimmer overall.
  • On the pi image there is a folder /usr/local/Repetier-Setup which contains scripts we detect that offer additional functions like wifi management over nmcli. Some of the files needs some extra files at special places. All are contained in the folder and just need to be copied to correct folder. So with that you can do it on other linux distros as well.

Only watch out if manageWifi... contains modifications. If we have a newer version we replace it. So in that case choose a higher version then we use in info to protect it from overwriting.