Shell + Top/Bottom Thickness + Total Measurements.

Hello,
First, nice to have such a reliable 3D Printing Software.
Most Things turn out as you need it, and you can set all things very userfriendly.

My Problem is with the Measurements. I got often models, what have to fit at 1mm or better.
But the Software add the Settings from Shell-Top thickness additional to the total Measurements.
IE. when i have 0.6mm Wall and Top thickness ie at circles or tubes with 20mm, it adds it to the total measures,
sometimes on the inner Side, sometimes at the outer measurements, that it is a total of 20,6 mm sometimes 21,2.
And that can be very disturbing at ie connectors or holder for ie bearings.
You also can not set the thickness to zero, or the field complains to turn it off.
The structure is most time solid enough, that i dont want use additional walls.
Could it maybe made, that you make a button, "add to outer side" or "inner".
Or change it complete, that the wall will be allways adds to to inner side, at the cost from the inner structures from the volume.
And well, my printer is pretty well adjusted, and no matter what model i print,
it are allways the same values, what make the model oversized.

Regards

Comments

• First thing would be that you tell us what software you use. I guess host and one of the supported slicers. These slicers are not from us, so the process is nothing we can do. My current favourite is the Slic3r PE and it slices exactly the sizes I want. Error is less then a layer in z and less the 0.1mm for xy direction.

Slicers take outer perimeter and reduce by 50% extrusion width and make the outer perimeter. This does not depend on top/bottom thickness. For CuraEngine make sure wall thickness is a multiple of extrusion width. I think that makes it clear how number of perimeter gets rounded.
  • Hello,
    Yes, i use repetierhost 2.1.3 with curaengine for the slicer at an AnetA8 V2.0
    Thickness wall/top are both set to 0.6mm at a 0.4mm nozzle and most time 0.2mm layerheight.
    Well, ok, i have to watch that now with this calculations.  I got slic3r and slic3r PE installed, just he PE version doesnt run now, any python error there, and i have to fix that first. Slic3r worked so far, but was not to convincing for me.
    But i will see if i get correct matches with it.
    Does it make sense, to let into the inputfield a zero  value valid or does then the slicer complain?
    I would like to see if that would make any changes, because i am ok at some strucutures, when its print it as-it-is. 

For cura now seems, you allways have to calculate the real printed size, and that can be some disturbing, when you ie. change the settings once or share a model at thingyverse.
    When its more complex, you have to resize it to the right numbers, but for the print then, you would need to add or substract the additional material.

• What is the error in Pruse Edition? I can slice normally. But you need to configure it first or missing profiles will cause an error. Sometimes I have seen that old profiles also could crash slic3r.

0 as nozzle width will just use the one set in printer settings.
    I think limit width is 1.5*nozzle width so 0.6 will be one perimeter 0.4*1.5. If you have 0.35 then it will maybe take 2 perimeter but that would get normally a bit wider then 0.6.
  • I use Mint 17.3 and Slic3r PE 1.41.1 from github complained about libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.9' not found.
    did the trick.
    1. $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib64/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    2. $ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    3. $ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test
    4. $ sudo apt-get update
    5. $ sudo apt-get install gcc-4.9 g++-4.9
    Seems there been changes from Ubuntu from 14.4 to 16.4 and higher.

The instruction from github didnt work for me for slic3r PE.
    There was libwx.glcanvas-perl missing at apt-get missing, removing it from the install list didnt help to run slic3r PE.

Yes, i am aware, that some printer settings just take the settings at the Printer or Firmware.
    But there should not be anywhere predefined values for wall/top/bottom settings, so the slicers will use the zero values?
    And hmm, just comes in my mind, when i adjust the axis resolutions by printed models, the values are maybe not accurate anymore, when it print a model and i measure it, but what actually differs from the original size from the stl-model because of the additional material from wall thickness

• edited October 2018
    Ok, i printed now a few things with slic3r, and seems the measures are equally to the one from the model.
    Seems the Problem is cura-specific, and even the stability from the model is better then sliced with cura-engine.
    If cura would not be so handy at the access and configuration.. but i think, i will never ever use it again.