Backup entire server

Going to begin archiving all my 3D printing projects on my Repetierserver.

What is the best method for backing up  the entire server?

I would like to either in order of preference:
1. Backup the entire server as a disk image to another location on the LAN without shutting down the server or;
2. Backup the files and settings into a single file to another location on the LAN that can be restored to a fresh installation of Repetier server.

This would ideally be done by SSH or through a script I can execute from within Repetier server.

Obviously I could shutdown the server and remove the SD card for cloning but I'd rather not have to go to this trouble to ensure backups are performed regularly due to ease of being able to do so.

Comments

• For easy backup all user files are stored in /var/lib/Repetier-Server. Stop server
    sudo service RepetierServer stop
    and copy all files or make a tar file from it if you have enough space to store the file and copy the tar file instead.

If you have made more modifications then just in the ui like adding extra drivers a full image is also an option. But with the data backup you can at least reinstall all server related settings and data.
  • Great thanks
  • would it be possible to create a script launched from within Repetier menu that would stop the server archive the user files copy them to a location on the network then start the server again?
  • Good question. If you manage to detach the process from server it could work otherwise killing server would stop the script as well or wait for script to finish. See advanced configuration how to add external commands using extcommands.xml - They are already on our pi images to shutdown and reboot.
  • Hello! It works for me to copy the files from the raspberry to the PC using WinSCP. But when I try to restore the files (copy it back to the raspberry) I got the message "Permission denied". I have stopped the server before trying it. What is my fault? Is it correct to login with the default user (pi/raspberry)?
    I want to setup a new server with an RPi3 and want to copy all files and folder structure from the old one to the new one.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
  • The problem is that server runs as user repetierserver who also owns /var/lib/Repetier-Server so pi can not upload to that. But on start server will always fix permissions so running on shell
    sudo chown -R pi /var/lib/Repetier-Server
    after stopping server should give you permission to copy data back.
  • Some how I goofed up on making new root password server works but would Like to Reload so I can fix that issue is thier a way to just Backup all Server Settings and Content, Deactivate Server, Reload Image and Restore Backup ?
  • Yes. All files that contain repetier-server configuration and data are stored below /var/lib/Repetier-Server so just back up everything there and copy it later back to get same state as before.
  • Greetings,

I'm trying to move my Repetier Server from to a new machine (both run Windows). I don't see a folder anywhere with /var/lib/ in it. I'm looking in Program Files and Program Data folders. Any tips? Is the migration procedure different for Windows?
  • Yes, each OS has it's own way to store such user independent data. Windows stores it under C:\ProgramData\Repetier-Server
  • edited September 2019
    Great, thanks. Do I simply copy the entire folder C:\ProgramData\Repetier-Server\ to the new machine?

• I went ahead and just copied the entire folder over. I had to stop the server first and then restart it, which makes sense. Everything seems to be as it was on the old machine.