Z probe settings

edited July 2018 in Windows
Now that I finally got Repetier up and running, I need a bit of help setting up a Z probe. so far I have it attached and wired, the led lights up as expected, but, it is not stopping, there are so many settings in there I get lost.
The probe is an IR probe.
Here is what I have set, I am sure it is all wrong ,but at least the printer still runs.

// #################### Z-Probing #####################

#define Z_PROBE_Z_OFFSET 0
#define Z_PROBE_Z_OFFSET_MODE 0
#define UI_BED_COATING 0
#define FEATURE_Z_PROBE 0
#define Z_PROBE_BED_DISTANCE 1.99
#define Z_PROBE_PIN -1
#define Z_PROBE_PULLUP 0
#define Z_PROBE_ON_HIGH 0
#define Z_PROBE_X_OFFSET 0
#define Z_PROBE_Y_OFFSET 30
#define Z_PROBE_WAIT_BEFORE_TEST 0
#define Z_PROBE_SPEED 2
#define Z_PROBE_XY_SPEED 150
#define Z_PROBE_SWITCHING_DISTANCE 1
#define Z_PROBE_REPETITIONS 1
#define Z_PROBE_HEIGHT 40
#define Z_PROBE_START_SCRIPT ""G32
#define Z_PROBE_FINISHED_SCRIPT "" G28 10
#define Z_PROBE_REQUIRES_HEATING 0
#define Z_PROBE_MIN_TEMPERATURE 150
#define FEATURE_AUTOLEVEL 1
#define Z_PROBE_X1 20
#define Z_PROBE_Y1 20
#define Z_PROBE_X2 280
#define Z_PROBE_Y2 280
#define Z_PROBE_X3 100
#define Z_PROBE_Y3 160
#define BED_LEVELING_METHOD 0
#define BED_CORRECTION_METHOD 0
#define BED_LEVELING_GRID_SIZE 5
#define BED_LEVELING_REPETITIONS 5
#define BED_MOTOR_1_X 0
#define BED_MOTOR_1_Y 0
#define BED_MOTOR_2_X 300
#define BED_MOTOR_2_Y 0
#define BED_MOTOR_3_X 200
#define BED_MOTOR_3_Y 300
#define BENDING_CORRECTION_A 0
#define BENDING_CORRECTION_B 0
#define BENDING_CORRECTION_C 0
#define FEATURE_AXISCOMP 0
#define AXISCOMP_TANXY 0
#define AXISCOMP_TANYZ 0
#define AXISCOMP_TANXZ 0

Comments

• Ok , made a few wild guesses and got it working to a degree, still some things I do not understand.
    1) why it is set to raise up 40 mm after it homes.
    2) and how to set it for print height.
  • edited July 2018
    #define Z_PROBE_BED_DISTANCE 1.99      <<<set this to 5, distance to raise Z between probe points
    #define Z_PROBE_PIN -1 << if probe is conected to Z min pin  this should read #define Z_PROBE_PIN ORIG_Z_MIN_PIN

#define Z_PROBE_PULLUP 0
    #define Z_PROBE_ON_HIGH 0
    #define Z_PROBE_X_OFFSET 0
    #define Z_PROBE_Y_OFFSET 30
    #define Z_PROBE_WAIT_BEFORE_TEST 0
    #define Z_PROBE_SPEED 2
    #define Z_PROBE_XY_SPEED 150
    #define Z_PROBE_SWITCHING_DISTANCE 1    <<< set this to 4, distance needed to raise Z to untrigger probe
    #define Z_PROBE_REPETITIONS 1
    #define Z_PROBE_HEIGHT 40        <<  set this to the distance between bed and nozzle when probe triggers
    #define Z_PROBE_START_SCRIPT ""G32   <<  leave blank for inductive probe,
    #define Z_PROBE_FINISHED_SCRIPT "" G28 10   << leave blank for inductive probe
    #define Z_PROBE_REQUIRES_HEATING 0
    #define Z_PROBE_MIN_TEMPERATURE 150  << set this to 0  so you dont heat nozzle while probing

• Ok thanks, have set these settings, and things are not going well.
    I press print, it homes Z as expected buy only momentarily then continues to go down into the bed, the X and Y do not hope, I can home the individually . It is not probing
    Before making these changes the endstops worked as they should.
     Here are the changes made

#define UI_BED_COATING 0
    #define FEATURE_Z_PROBE 1
    #define Z_PROBE_BED_DISTANCE 5   // lift nozzle between probes
    #define Z_PROBE_PIN ORIG_Z_MIN_PIN
    #define Z_PROBE_PULLUP 1
    #define Z_PROBE_ON_HIGH 0
    #define Z_PROBE_SPEED 2
    #define Z_PROBE_SWITCHING_DISTANCE 4  //raise nozzle to untrigger probe
    #define Z_PROBE_REPETITIONS 1
    #define Z_PROBE_HEIGHT .6  // nozzle height
    #define Z_PROBE_START_SCRIPT "G32"  //start probing
    #define Z_PROBE_FINISHED_SCRIPT "G28 Z5 X0 Y0"
    #define Z_PROBE_MIN_TEMPERATURE 0 //so the extruder does not heat during probing.
  • well got the homing back, but no probing, looks as though I will have to forget it. I thought this was supposed to be easy to set up, if that;s the case I am glad I am not trying to work with Marlin.
  • and yet another error arises, it is not heating either the bed or the hotend, get the error ,Printer set in dry run mode.
    It make me wonder if it is all worth the effort, I have been over a week trying to set this thing to print, still not there.
  • If you  use z probe for homing you need to use a homing order with preheat. Then you can select to pre raise (required so z probe is not triggered at start) and you can set a psoition so enabling z offset is possible. In all other cases it will not work. Also do never use G28/G32 in start/end script as martin told you. That will recusivlely home until firmware crashes.

For heating I guess you get a decoupling error. Happens if you are heating a different part then you measure temperature or if heater pin is wrong. Check closely all temperatures and log if you enable a printer.

Making a printer on your own requires some knowledge or much research. Once you know how all is connected it is quite easy, but for first timers with not much programming experience it can be a bit demanding.
  • Got the heating working again, but can't get the extruder to lower below the homing height. It will not go any lower.
    I am getting a bit worried that I will burn something out.
  • Repetier said:
    If you  use z probe for homing you need to use a homing order with preheat. Then you can select to pre raise (required so z probe is not triggered at start) and you can set a psoition so enabling z offset is possible. In all other cases it will not work. Also do never use G28/G32 in start/end script as martin told you. That will recusivlely home until firmware crashes.

For heating I guess you get a decoupling error. Happens if you are heating a different part then you measure temperature or if heater pin is wrong. Check closely all temperatures and log if you enable a printer.

Making a printer on your own requires some knowledge or much research. Once you know how all is connected it is quite easy, but for first timers with not much programming experience it can be a bit demanding.
    Thanks very much, so far I have the printer running, heating if fine , all axis home as they should, and it goes though the printing process ok not perfect that is something I can adjust. I got the nozzle to lower in the control software (Matter Control) so it seems that all I need is to get it to probe, that is the bit I can;t get setup.
    Hope you can put we straight here.
    these are the settings I have set.

#define UI_BED_COATING 0
    #define FEATURE_Z_PROBE 0
    #define Z_PROBE_BED_DISTANCE 5   // lift nozzle between probes
    #define Z_PROBE_PIN ORIG_Z_MIN_PIN 
    #define Z_PROBE_PULLUP 1
    #define Z_PROBE_ON_HIGH 1
    #define Z_PROBE_SPEED 2
    #define Z_PROBE_SWITCHING_DISTANCE 4  //raise nozzle to untrigger probe
    #define Z_PROBE_REPETITIONS 3
    #define Z_PROBE_HEIGHT .7  // nozzle height
    #define Z_PROBE_START_SCRIPT ""  //start probing
    #define Z_PROBE_FINISHED_SCRIPT ""
    #define Z_PROBE_MIN_TEMPERATURE 0 //so the extruder does not heat during probing.
    #define FEATURE_AUTOLEVEL 0 
  • You need to enable z probe and autoleveling to use it
    #define FEATURE_Z_PROBE 1
    #define FEATURE_AUTOLEVEL 1

Then you can check if values amke sense e.g. M119 to see if z probe is giving correct signals.

If you use z min homing I assume z probe is used as z min endstop, so use homing order with preheat and set preheat temperature 0 and homing position x > 30 e.g. 50.
  • Defining the Feature_Z_probe 1. all that did was to stop then continue to push the nozzle into the bed.
    Most of the things you mention here I cannot find.
    So I m going to scrap the idea of the Z probe and go back to using the mechanical endstop.
    One thing I  must say regarding the firmware, it is not intuitive enough there are no comments to help people like me.But thanks for trying.
  • No I did not see these files, it's a wonder someone didn't point me to them earlier in the piece.
    Thank you very much, for taking the time.