Repetier Server does not start UI interface after Touchscreen installation

Hi all,

today I tried to install a 5" Waveshare touchscreen on my Repetier Server and in principal it is working, but after installing the touchscreen driver the UI interface on my Pi isn't starting. Means it shows just the console. I can also reach it through the web interface but I would like to get the touch interface running. Does anybody has an Idea how to start the Repetier application again?

Many thanks in advance,
 Oli

Comments

• You need to tell xserver (graphic interface on linux) to use the waveshare display. By default dispaly :0 is used and I think that display has number :1. Try googling xserver display waveshare or similar to find out how to do it.
  • I'm having similar issues. 

Put one of these screens on the Pi 3 install:
    https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/3.5inch_RPi_LCD_(A)

and was able to get the driver installed and screen working, but like olifunke it now just boots to console mode instead of Repetier GUI. After digging through the forums for a while, seems to be that the problem is Linux not setting the correct display type when called by the xserver command.

does anybody know which file has the setting for defining the display previous to the xserver call?

Other than that, really liking the Server running on Pi  :)

-SJ

• Hi redlancer,

I was not able to get it running with the Waveshare driver even not with the xserver hint. Finally, I've made it by using the driver from a different company (Elecrow) which seems to be compatible. Here is what I used:

Using this driver it works perfectly for me. Unfortunately I had to completely re-install the Repetier image for that.

Hope this helps you too.

Best regards,
     olifunke
  • olifunke said:
    Hi redlancer,

I was not able to get it running with the Waveshare driver even not with the xserver hint. Finally, I've made it by using the driver from a different company (Elecrow) which seems to be compatible. Here is what I used:

Using this driver it works perfectly for me. Unfortunately I had to completely re-install the Repetier image for that.

Hope this helps you too.

Best regards,
     olifunke
    Thanks, I was able to get one of the Elecrow drivers to install and seemed to work for the screen, but still just ended up booting into console mode.

Not really a deal breaker since using the Web GUI to control the printers is just as easy, but would be a fun extra to have the small touchscreen.

• I had similar issue with 3.5" LCD screen (non-HDMI).
    In this thread you can find description how i got it working:
    Hope this is useful

• Thanks, I'll give it a try !
  • Redlancer,

You didn't state which version of Repetier Server you are running on Pi. Did you get it to work? This discussion is from May and June so I'm assuming that it was using a more recent build?

I'm currently running on RS version 0.80.3 and I can install my Waveshare 35B driver and everything works fine. But, if I upgrade to the newest version 0.90.7 and then install the driver, I can't even get my Pi to boot to console. It hangs at 
    started Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status
    I've tried different cards but end up with the same results. If I reinstall 0.80.3 everything works fine.

Is there a way to update to the newest version without over-writing everything on the SD card?
  • You can use the server upgrade in the frontend. Click on check for updates and it should see latest version. That will just install the server and new wifi handler.

I think between 0.80 and 0.90.7 there was a update of the debian distribution to stretch from jessie. This came along with newer kernel update that also supports Raspberry Pi 3+. Maybe the waveshare drivers do not work on that kernel/distribution?