›

How to transfer RH /w configuration from Windows to Linux?

Hi all,

.. so the daring operator decided to go cold turkey ;-)

soon to be old-Setup:
- Printer attached to a  dedicated RepetierServer Pro on a RasPi3
- Admin-box / "daily driver" from yesteryear: Win 7, ~6 years old and _creaking_, don't ask about the specs

the new kit:
- (Printer and RasPi will remain unchanged)
- Admin-box shall change to Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia, HW: Core i5, 16GB, 250GB SSD

Success / Fails so far with the new box:
-) tried the AppImage first
-> silent *crash* during adding my printer, most likely because I decided to remove the default-printer before successfully adding the new one; also some weird artifacts with the GUI (open another app while RH is running and has a blocking dialog open -e.g. configure printer or something-); Webcam-Button didn't show up and so on
-> ditched that

Question: how does one remove the shortcuts created by running "<...AppImage> -prepare", does a parameter exist for this?

Question: how does one update from  Repetier-Host-x86_64-2.0.5.AppImage to -say- Repetier-Host-x86_64-2.0.something.AppImage without breaking all shortcuts?

-) switch to the current .tgz
->) of course mono included with Mint 18.3 Sylvia was too old, RH didn't even start
-> followed the "sehr sparsam & übersichtlich" instructions on http://www.mono-project.com/download/stable/#download-lin (the site talks about 16.04 or older and "should work with newer Ubuntu versions too but we only test the ones below.." but so what if this borks the new and shiny OS-install, don't care!)
-> sudo ... echo .. sudo ... + sudo apt-get install mono-complete -> RH is working, Webcam-button also shows up and works; dito basic commands work (home <axis>; heat bed; fan-speed and so on) -> YAY!

RFC: add "installing mono-complete should be sufficient" somewhere on your download/info-page

and at long last... here it goes:
How do I transfer my RH/Slicer-Configuration from my old machine (Win 7) to the new box (Linux Mint) and is this even possible?
/I don't care much about the printer-settings ("Kopiere Servereinstellungen" should take care of this (*)) but having to re-create the Cura-Slicer-Configuration is gonna *hurt*, badly.

(*) Minor glitch: connect to server (api-key and so on...) shows the printer _twice_ and I cannot figure out how to remove the "wrong one" (I do know which one to select, choosing 'other one' crashes RH...); it's just annoying...

TL;DR / Mangement Summary:  Transfer RHs Slicer-Configuration from Windows to Linux -> How?

all the best & thanks in advance for your outstanding support!

Comments

• Slicer configuration are just files to be copied. Slic3r is in $HOME/AppData/Roaming/Slic3r add PE for pruse edition. CuraEngine folder is in working directory and contents are per printer. Just copy to the folders on linux. SLic3r is .Slic3r in home directory I think.
  • Thankyou!

... of course my old machine threw a hissy fit and ... -i kid you not- decided that the HD is missing, BIOS hangs with 5a and tries a netboot.

Somehow the old workhorse -~7 years or so, all kinds of abuse- sensed the advent of the new and shiny one and went  AWOL. :-/

Anyway: any updates re <other questions>? it seems to me that at least with Mint Sylvia RH is somewhat "empfindlich" re usage, can't pin it down right now (uploading <same stl> doesn't trigger a warnig, RH just crashed -> will try to start RH from commandline the next time, maybe there's some output why)

PS: since I have a quite powerful box right now, how can I utilize this box as "detached repetier-server", e.g. offload the render-jobs from RasPi to <new and shiny>?
    on my old box (Win7) repetier server + configuring the RasPi took care of this but I can't find a RS-Package suitable for Linux X64, am I blind / missing something or ...?

• Linux and windows version of server are identical. Just start it and enter the ip/API key in the pi connectivity settings as the pi is who decides where it is done.

Linux host is sometimes behaving not identical. After all it is a windows software that just uses the mono library which "should" be compatible, but sometimes has different implementations just being nearly identical. Also the 100 linux versions make it hard to test.