RH started crashing after 10 minutes

Howdy,

3D Printing Nube here

I recently got a Printrbot simple metal and after setting things up it worked fairly well on my laptop.  I moved the printer to near my desktop running Linux and all was well still.  I printed several hour long objects.  Then I upgraded the comnputer to OpenSuse 13.2 so I could have some later software that I wanted/needed.  I reinstalled RH and configured it (the same I believe).  Now I can only print for about 10 minutes before the app crashes and disappears from the display.

I am new enough to this printing that I do not know where to look for clues to the crash.  I can't find anything in the system logs for any kind of error and I can't find any RH logs.  Turning on the screen log will not help as it disappears at the same time the printer stops.

Any help or pointers will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• Start it from terminal and you will see the error messages generated by mono during the crash. That might help finding the reason, e.g. a missing class or method.
  • I Got the following:

Rebuild object False                                                                                                                                                                         
    Unhandled Exception:
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
      at System.Threading.EventWaitHandle.Reset () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Threading.EventWaitHandle:Reset ()
      at System.Threading.Timer+Scheduler.SchedulerThread () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at System.Threading.Thread.StartInternal () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
    [ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
      at System.Threading.EventWaitHandle.Reset () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Threading.EventWaitHandle:Reset ()
      at System.Threading.Timer+Scheduler.SchedulerThread () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
    briank@Alki-4:~> 

• Aso I get many of these at the beginning, before printing starts:

libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile                       
    libpng warning: iCCP: cHRM chunk does not match sRGB
    Rebuild object False
  • None of these lines are inside the host but inside some system parts. That makes it hard to say what is going on. I would try updating to latest mono version and see if it still happens.
  • Hi,

I'm getting the same error, but no stacktrace information:
    $ ./repetierHost
    Rebuild object False
    Rebuild object False
    Rebuild object False
    Rebuild object False
    Rebuild object False
    Rebuild object False
    Rebuild object False
    Rebuild object False
    Rebuild object False

Unhandled Exception:
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
      at (wrapper unknown) System.Threading.Monitor:FastMonitorEnterV4 (object,bool&)
    [ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Ubuntu shows up an error window also, saying that mono crashes. The program was working fine and I've been using it a lot. In my case, it's not a question of time, because sometimes the pieces are finished and sometimes, the same pieces, aren't, showing up that log.

I've checked searching in google, but I didn't see any references just this.
    Is there any other log to see if I can trace with more information the error?

Sorry, because I didn't have time to check the documentation to know how to debug an error.

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04, on an AMD (64 bits) running kernel 3.13.0-49-generic.

Thanks in advance.
  • I have the same problem. It started in early april. Before that, it all worked perfectly for a long time. After 10-30 minutes of printing, RH crashes with

Unhandled Exception:

(Ubuntu 14.04LTS server, Linux 3.13.0-49-generic #83-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 10 20:11:33 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux, Mono JIT compiler version 3.2.8 (Debian 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1, Repetier-Host 1.06)

Anyone who knows how to get around this problem, short of resorting to printing from SD-card? Many thanks!
  • Downgrading Mono didn't help, so it seems related to changes in other system components. Any ideas?
  • Since it happens for all inside threading library it may be libpthread which is linked dynamically. Was that changed recently?
  • Since, for me, it occurs with OpenSuse and for mikey it was Ubuntu, I would guess it is not a library problem.  As for me, the libpthread is stock OpenSuse.
  • I solved the problem by downgrading the Linux kernel to version 3.13.0-46-generic. Now, the prints go all the way all the time, and I have locked this kernel version in my system until further notice. It seems all current kernel versions above 3.13.0-46 have the bug that causes the problem in Mono/Repetier-Host.
  • Great gong.  What I think should happen is for RH to update to be able to use more modern Linux kernels and libraries.
  • Well, it seems more applications than RH have problems, eg https://forums.sonarr.tv/t/help-needed-native-mono-crashes/4985/62. So, I think this is an issue between Mono and recent Linux kernels rather than an RH issue.
  • Just to be clear. The host never talks to linux directly. It uses the normal mono libraries to start threads and do other interactions with the underlying os. I even did not compile it under linux. It is the binary code generated on windows in Visual Studio. The communication will look something like that in this case

Linux kerner <-> libpthread (i guess) <-> Mono + Mono libraries <-> Host Code 
  • Hope this helps someone else.  I tried a different updated kernel (4.1.12), and it seems to be stable for my repetier set-up:

• I Got the following:
    Rebuild object False                                                                                                                                                                         Unhandled Exception:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object  at System.Threading.EventWaitHandle.Reset () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0   at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Threading.EventWaitHandle:Reset ()  at System.Threading.Timer+Scheduler.SchedulerThread () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0   at System.Threading.Thread.StartInternal () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 [ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object  at System.Threading.EventWaitHandle.Reset () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0   at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Threading.EventWaitHandle:Reset ()  at System.Threading.Timer+Scheduler.SchedulerThread () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0   at System.Threading.Thread.StartInternal () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 briank@Alki-4:~> 

NullReferenceException indicates that you are trying to access member fields, or function types, on an object reference that points to null. That means the reference to an Object which is not initialized.

It's usually better to avoid a NullReferenceException than to handle it after it occurs. Handling an exception can make your code harder to maintain and understand, and can sometimes introduce other bugs. A NullReferenceException is often a non-recoverable error. In these cases, letting the exception stop the app might be the best alternative. More about.....NullReferenceException

Riyan

• This special problem comes from a kernel<->mono incompatibility introduces with some kernel changes making multithreading somehow defective.