Update 1.4.1 and Filament Runout

Hi there 

Since the Update to Repetier Server 1.4.1 i got some problems witch the filament runout detection

My Printers have no Runout detection and it was disabled - but now on printer startup the server sends a M412 S1 H1 
I cant see any option or something that lets me turn that off - even if i send the command to turn it off - on next startup the server activates runout detection again 

Repetier runs on a Raspberry Pi 4 
Printers are running Marlin ( Jyers/Alexqzd )

Some sort of Workaround - send gcode on event - send when connecting M412 S0 

Comments

• Yes that would be the best solution. It is in our startup g-code in firmwares/marlin.xml to tell firmware we want the messages to be handled with action commands so we get the run out message.

If you have no filament sensor, firmware should be compiled without HAS_FILAMENT_SENSOR define, so it would ignore the command. Next best would explicitly disable it in "Run on connect" event. Or if you like remove it from marlin.xml but every update would add that again.
  • Was this a change in 1.4.0 / 1.4.1 ? 
    With 1.3.0 i never had to do this (same Printer firmware) 

Also an other thing i noticed on my way to troubleshoot my printers - the readout of the firmware for the bed size seems to be not correct - on 1.3.0 my ender 3v2 had a size of x230 y230 z250 (with Jyers) and with 1.4.1 i get a size of x200 y200 z100  
  • Yes, M412 is new and was added after I found out this command exists. Reason is that many users have problems with filament sensor because it does not give correct messages and this activates them. Since you have a firmware with this, can you test if you can send
    M412 H1
    without S1 for activating runout. Then I could reduce it to only enable host messages and keep it on/off as it was. Will also check sources in parallel but currenty have no active printer with that supported. Always changing features:-)

Regarding size - we do not really query bed size but print area and take it. We extract it from
    M503
    so what does your firmware return here. With output I can compare against our internal rules for parsing. But you can in any case just set correct values by hand. 200x200x100 sound like our defaults so more likely the response was not understood.
  • edited August 2022
    Repetier said:
    Yes, M412 is new and was added after I found out this command exists. Reason is that many users have problems with filament sensor because it does not give correct messages and this activates them. Since you have a firmware with this, can you test if you can send
    M412 H1
    without S1 for activating runout. Then I could reduce it to only enable host messages and keep it on/off as it was. Will also check sources in parallel but currenty have no active printer with that supported. Always changing features:-)
    Here you go - sending M412 H1 gets you this  -  echo:Filament runout OFF ; Distance 0.00mm ; Host handling ON
    but i since i do not have a sensor i cant tell you how it would interact 

Now that I know where it comes from, its not that big off a deal - it was just irritating 
    that all printers ran into a problem - i am not that good at dev-things but maybe there 
    could be a slider to turn on off the M412 S1 command? 
    ok - checked M503 and it gives no response in regards to area or size and yeah setting the right size is simple it was just one small thing that catched my eye
  • Thanks.

After some thinking and another complaint I decided to remove it form our standard ini list. If users want it they can activate it in run on connect anyway.

With M503 not saying anything about size it makes sense that default values got used, so nothing to do here.