The computer name is not resolved

Hello all :)

I have four 3D printers here. 
1 x Ultimaker 3 
1 x Ultimaker 2
1 x Prusa i3
1 x Anet A8
Two of them (ANET A8 and Prusa I3) are connected via a thin client (debian-10.11.0-amd64-netinst) running Repetier Server (latest version).  
Then I have two times Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W with the remaining two printers (both Repetier server image_1_3_0_v28).

Now to my problem:
Each server has a name. (3DPRTSRV1,3DPRTSRV2,3DPRTSRV3).
If I enter e.g. 3DPRTSRV1, the server cannot be found in the network via the name.
It works fine via the IP.
What can I do so that the server names can be resolved in a Windows network?

I can't get the ULTIMAKER 2 to run, it just hums. Marlin is set. I am at a loss.
Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Comments

  • Hello. You could try to set up a DNS server and assign those names to the specified IPs and/or change the hostname of your machine. To the Ultimaker: Please check your wiring and make sure everything is attached properly. Then try to print from SD: Does it work properly?
  • If host is 3DPRTSRV1 the name in network is 3DPRTSRV1.local if your pc supports zeroconf/bonjour like mobiles do.

  • Hello :)
    Yes, with the information they are now resolved. Thank you!
    However, I can't get the Ultimaker2 to work.
    Now I have used Cura with the Repetier plugin. Here the machine does not hum anymore. Now the print job starts but the print head just spins in circles.
    Funnily enough, the printer runs perfectly via Octopi. I went back to check if the firmware is really set to Marlin. Nothing works with the other firmware settings. I have to say that I'm running out of ideas.

  • edited February 17
    Ups! SD Card works perfect.

  • Before you start printing, you should have a look at the console without filters disabled especially during connect procedure. It sounds like you get a connection, but are there any errors or bad signs in log? If correct gcode does not work it is normally a communication issue and in logs it normally gets visible. So during print also enable logging to see what is going on when these things happen. Also check in server config->gcode->replacements if you have any configured.
  • edited February 18
    Do you mean this ?
    Mesg:8:02:49.200: Dtr: true Rts: false
    Mesg:8:02:49.234: Printer reset requested false
    Mesg:8:02:49.234: Dtr: false Rts: true
    Mesg:8:02:49.254: Dtr: true Rts: false
    Recv:8:02:50.379: Connection verified by:start
    Recv:8:02:50.416: Printer reset detected:start
    Recv:8:02:50.418: start
    Recv:8:02:50.419: echo:Marlin 1.0.0
    Recv:8:02:50.419: echo: Last Updated: Mar 15 2018 13:03:14 | Author: Vers:_3.3.0
    Recv:8:02:50.419: Compiled: Mar 15 2018
    Recv:8:02:50.420: echo: Free Memory: 2255 PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
    Recv:8:02:50.420: echo:Stored settings retrieved
    Recv:8:02:50.420: echo:Steps per unit:
    Recv:8:02:50.420: echo: M92 X80.00 Y80.00 Z200.00 E330.00
    Recv:8:02:50.421: echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
    Recv:8:02:50.421: echo: M203 X300.00 Y300.00 Z40.00 E0.00
    Recv:8:02:50.421: echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
    Recv:8:02:50.422: echo: M201 X9000 Y9000 Z100 E10000
    Recv:8:02:50.422: echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
    Recv:8:02:50.422: echo: M204 S3000.00 T3000.00
    Recv:8:02:50.423: echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s), Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s), E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
    Recv:8:02:50.423: echo: M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Z0.40 E0.00
    Recv:8:02:50.423: echo:Home offset (mm):
    Recv:8:02:50.424: echo: M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z-18.50
    Recv:8:02:50.424: echo:PID settings:
    Recv:8:02:50.424: echo: M301 P10.00 I2.50 D100.00
    Recv:8:02:50.829: echo:SD card ok
    Recv:8:02:50.858: FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin Ultimaker2; Sprinter/grbl mashup for gen6 FIRMWARE_URL:http://github.com/Ultimaker PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:Ultimaker EXTRUDER_COUNT:1
    Recv:8:02:50.890: X:0.00Y:0.00Z:0.00E:0.00 Count X: 0.00Y:0.00Z:0.00

    This is are the log entrys while booting up the printer ...
  • So, I have actually found the error. The print job was pushed to the RS yesterday via Cura. I don't normally do that because I work mainly with RH. In addition, I have reinstalled Cura. Unfortunately, I forgot to change the gcode flavour in Cura to Marlin, so the print was sent via the Ultimaker2 protocol, which actually belongs to this printer. This ended up with the print head mindlessly starting to spin in circles. Then I connected Cura directly via USB. Again, the same crap. Via SD card it behaved completely normally. That is:
    If you want to print via SD card, use Ultimaker2 Protokol. Everything that concerns USB can only be done via the Marlin protocol. However, I have found that you can also set Repetier. That also works!
  • Good to know how this works on ultimaker. Makes sense to offer a format for communication compatible to marlin, especially knowing that marlin was written by a ultimaker member if I remember right.
Sign In or Register to comment.