Rotating DSI Display on Pi 4B

edited November 2021 in Tips & Tricks
Had some issues rotating the lcd with dsi connector following the repetier tutorial.
lcd_rotate does work for raspberry pi 4 but only to rotate the touch interface. nothing else stated in the tutorial works for rotating the display itself. so maybe the tutorial should be updated:

To set screen orientation when in console mode, you will need to edit the kernel command line to pass the required orientation to the system.
```bash
sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
```
To rotate by 90 degrees clockwise, add the following to the cmdline, making sure everything is on the same line, do not add any carriage returns. Possible rotation values are 0, 90, 180 and 270.
```
video=DSI-1:800x480@60,rotate=90

Comments

• > lcd_rotate does work for raspberry pi 4 but only to rotate the touch interface. 
    What do you mean and especially what is not working when display is rotated? I have the original dsi display and use lcd_rotate=2 to flip it 180° and works on display and touch for me. Do you have a different display?
  • hello,
    i have the dsi 3.5inch touch display from osoyoo off amazon, and yes, lcd_rotate does rotate the touch interface which works on my pi 4, but this and no other option in the tutorial works for rotating the display. 
    so i had to rotate the display with video=DSI-1:800x480@60,rotate=180 in cmdline.txt and lcd_rotate=2 to rotate the touch interface. 
  • lcd_rotate is meant to be interpreted by the display. So in your case this did not happen requiring the extra command in cmdline.txt 

Thanks.