FFMPEG Timelapse artifacting at higher resolutions

I'm trying to get the timelapse feature working with my webcam that I've set up for streaming. It worked great initially at the webcam's default resolution of 640x480, but when I tried to up the resolution to 1080p or even 720p I got horrible artifacting in the timelapses. The camera feed still looks great so the camera is generating the high res images but it seems ffmpeg is having some sort of trouble compiling the larger images into the timelapse format. Any idea why this is? Is there some ffmpeg configuration I can adjust to fix this? Thanks.

Here is a screenshot from a timelapse made at the low resolution.

versus a screenshot from a timelapse at high resolution.

Comments

• Did you increase bitrate for produced video in timelapse section? If you compress higher resolution with default 1000kbit it will not look that good. If you have enabled to not remove images after conversion (general settings->timelapse) you can also retry encoding with different settings.
  • I have not increased the bit rate from 1000. Is there a bit rate you would recommend? 2000? 10000?
  • It depends on your resolution. I would recommend 4500kb/s for 1080p/30fps. For 720p/30fps about 3000kb/s