How many printers on one Pi / Pro licenses

Hey... Running a small farm og 7 printers right now - 4 of them on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ Repetier server. Working like a charm charing the same files for all the printers and no problems at all. Now it's time to get them all connected to the server with 2-4 printers more over time. 
How is that possible to do ? does that demand more licensens for servers and does mean i have to run repetier monitor to control 2-3 Repetier servers ?

Comments

• You can have up to 5 installations. Number of printers on one installation does not matter.

Monitor requires pro to control and unifies the interface if you have several instances so you have one interface to watch them all. Monitor it self does not need a license to run. Just will not offer functions except backup if it is not connected to a pro instance.
  • As I'm using raspberry Pi as a server i guess that it is to small to handle all 7 printer via USB Hub???
    Will all seven printers share the same file folder if i setup a 2. raspberry pi??

• If you get no electrical issues you can handle 7 printers on one pi especially if it is a pi 4. It gets a problem when you also want 7 webcams and es said pi is sensitive to electric problems so that can also be a deal breaker, but performance wise no problem.

Only one installation can share gcodes. You can upload gcode to a project. You can make a project form one pi visible to others and also start a print form there. In the new V1 you can even select which printers to start at once of the current instance.
  • hmm it is a Raspberry Pi 3B+ but in Denmark we have no power issues on the electric grid.... No webcams are needed... but i see myself having more than 7 printer in a year and shared files are important.... So maybe i should get a small pc as a server?

• 3B+ would also work I think. Pi 4 has better bandwidth though.
    With power issue I mean that the 5V line is very sensitive. 5V usb chargers tend to not work reliable often since they do not adjust fast enough on load changes.

For so many a linux pc is the best solution regarding stability. Sd cards also often get corrupted on pi making problems. And with 7 printers any crash can cost a lot so the costs for a small pc are easily returned by this if you use them a lot.
  • I'm not that tecnical - so would linux not quite a challenge to setup??
  • Not really. If you take a stock ubuntu it sets up more or less like windows with a normal desktop and programs to control everything graphical except maybe server installation where you need to run the commands to install the package. So it would be the same as with windows.

Windows is also fine as long as you remember to update windows manually from time to time so you get no unexpected forced updates stopping your printer. Nothing can stop these updates in windows so any running prints will stop in that case. And you need a windows license while linux is free.
  • Okay.. I'll have to look into it - thank you for your help...
    I'll start running 6 printers om my Raspberry but i marts I expect to have 7-10 printers so I'll might as well get to it finding a new server...