Repetier Server running on RaspberryPi 3bplus have to reboot daily

Hello guys, so I think the Repetier server software is great, however, I usually turn off my printers when I am done with them.  When coming back I turn on my printers and try to print at first Repetier does see them but when I try to print nothing happens.  I have to reboot the server with the printers connected and powered on in order for them to be able to work and print.  Is there something I can do to be able to power off my printers when not in use and turn them on when I need them and not having to power cycle the server every single time or is this a normal thing I have to do.

Thank you.

Comments

• Normally this is no issue. Sounds like you have several printers, so question is how do you reference them port wise? Especially when you use direct /dev names the order of enabling is important so different configs might try to use the printer. In such cases use /dev/serial/by-path or if they have different serial ids also /dev/serial/by-id/... would work.

If that is not the problem you should check console enable ack/commands and see what exactly is happening.

If you have a reset button on the printer try hitting that when you have connection problems. That also helps on some. 
  • I have 2 exact printers and they are both running the same firmware..
    One is on /dev/serial/by-path/platform-3f980000.usb-usb-0:1.3:1.0-port0
    the other /dev/serial/by-path/platform-3f980000.usb-usb-0:1.5:1.0-port0

I cannot use /dev/serial/by-id since they both share the same one (as they are identical)
    /dev/serial/by-id/usb-1a86_USB2.0-Serial-if00-port0

what do you recommend I should try?

I see other settings like "Port is visible even if firmware is not running."
    I also see "USB reconnect on Timeout"

Should I try enabling any of those?

Thanks.
  • Ok, port wise it is already best solution. What printers with which firmware are you running? Is the printer mainboard powered over usb or not? If not does the port disappear when printer is disabled?
    Port is visible even if firmware is not running. is for printers where port is connected when printer is disabled and board is not powered by usb. Most having this problem are Prusa MK3 printers. That is the one for which I added that switch.
    USB reconnect on Timeout is for cases where linux disconnects usb ports during print (a power problem normally).

With most printers they just reconnect. As said in some cases you might need to hit reset button on printer, but only when they were running all the time and do not reset on connect. Then they could be in an error state that does not get recovered and here reset helps.
  • I have 3 of the same printer and wanted to have all of them on this.  one is still in the box..

Anet ET4+ with the stock firmware.  website says this has a 32bit motherboard but not too sure what other info I can provide.

so if the printer is off and USB cable is still plugged in, the port still shows up when I go to the printer settings.  Should I try a powered USB hub? Or shall I try disabling the power pin on the USB cable?

Thanks.
  • Try disabling power pin as described in our faq for power issues. That solves 2 problems at once I think. Then every power up starts at no error for printer so next connect should normally work.
  • OK, so I covered up pin 1 with some electrical tape just as the guide.  I made triple sure I had the correct pin..  the one on the far right when looking at the connector and once I connected it on to the server (pi) nothing..  the pi is not seeing them at all..  I disconnected them checked the tape made sure it was only covering the one on the far right tried again same thing, rebooted, same thing, removed the tape, tried and server is seeing the printer..  what else can I do?
  • Far right sounds correct if contacts are at bottom, see https://www.repetier-server.com/knowledgebase/undervoltage-and-throtteling-of-pi/
    But with some printers I already read this is not working - they need power from usb or will not work. If linux does not see them that seems to be the problem. Of course linux will only see them if main power is enabled since that is why we are doing this.

You say server sees them after turning on (do they vanish when turning off). What does console show when you turn them on again. Please enable ack/commands as well. When it is seen but you have problems in communication it would show up there.