Klipper: Boring use of # needed for extended command

Is it really needed to use the # char for extended commands used by clipper ?

I need to use #SAVE_CONFIG instead of only SAVE_CONFIG. The next is, you use the commands in gcode files too and the commandline in Repetierserver is different. (Octoprint have no problem)

A) why is this needed/the difference ?
B) how is it possible to avoid this ?  

Comments

• The problem is that it is no gcode. But für next release I made an improvement. If the first 2 letters are A-Z it is no real gcode and we treat it then as shell command just like with # at first. So help is coming:-)
  • If you make a configurable option for this, it will be more compatible. 

THX, i hope the next version is comming soon :-) If you need testers for the option, i can test it.

Bleibt Gesund. Ein kleiner Schreibfehler zeigt mir, das auch deutsch gesprochen wird :-)
    Stay well ! A small mistake in the post, shows me, you are speaking german too :-)
  • It's already available as beta when you download 0.94.4 - just replace download link. Just testing and fixing last detected kinks.

No need to make it configurable. 2 letters at start is invalid gcode so must be something else and we just send it:-)

And yes, we are a german company and speak german but most members here don't so we prefer english.
  • edited December 2020
    Updated to 0.94.4 - work without any problem. 

Such a macro in Klipper is now working
    ######################################################################
    # Heatbed Scanning 
    ######################################################################

[gcode_macro DO_HBS]
    gcode:
        HEATER_OFF
        # Use absolute coordinates
        G90
        # Reset the G-Code Z offset (adjust Z offset if needed)
        SET_GCODE_OFFSET Z=0.0
        # Home the printer
        G28
        # Move the nozzle near the bed
        G1 Z5 F3000
        # to avoid crash if you use clips on the board
        G1 Y10
        G1 X10
        G1 Z2
        # Clear old values
        BED_MESH_CLEAR
        # start scan
        BED_MESH_CALIBRATE
        # Save must be done by hand !!!

THX for the update
  • As long as you make comments start with ; as supposed to be for gcode:-) But guess that is a sample that you can now enter except the wrong comment syntax for gcodes.
  • edited December 2020
    Repetier said:
    As long as you make comments start with ; as supposed to be for gcode:-) But guess that is a sample that you can now enter except the wrong comment syntax for gcodes.
    The repetier-server will not see these comments. It's Klipper's script and those will be stripped from the final output.

Thanks, this is a nice feature to get rid of mandatory # prefix for non-gcode commands.
    I'm also a Klippers user :)
  • edited December 2020
    Repetierserver sees only the command comming from eg. S3D
    DO_HBS
    nothing more. And Klipper see it like a normale valid GCode Command (in extended syntax)

So, all is good and working now. No problem with the new 0.94.4 version (for me)

The above sample was from Klipper internally, for doing a full Heat Bed Scan. Klipper translate the extended syntax in commands for the MCU.