Need Help

Hello, everything seemed to have been working great until my extruder randomly began extruding really slowly. I may have changed a setting, but I have no clue which. I've tried figuring out how to make it extrude more while moving the same speed. I simply can't find it. Can anyone help? Thank you.

Comments

• You should make sure the extruder is not clogged. If that happens it becomes harder to push filament through it so even if firmware works as supposed, the motor might not be able to push it through. It might slip of even loose steps.

With some experience you can test by pushing filament by hand through the nozzle. If it is a direct extruder you need to push/pull release lever so motor won't block you. Pushing by hand should be fairly easy. If it takes more force then you think the motor can put on it, it is clogged.

Other reason is too cold extruder making it also harder to extrude.
  • edited May 2015
    Well I know it's nothing like that. My other extruder was not clogged, but it wasn't very good, so I got a brand new e3d and extruder, so I know nothing is clogged. The only thing it could be is the softwar. Also, when I extrude manually, it works fine.
  • There is no setting for randomly slow extrusion. The only software way to get randomly results is if you are printing to fast. After all plastic needs to melt and if you continuously print to fast it can not keep up. You can find this speed by manually extruding a larger amount like 100mm at a speed and see how much got inside extruder using a marker. Then increase speed and at some point you see it does not extruder 100mm mit less. Then yo know the limit of your extruder/filament/temperature combination. From this you can compute back using extrusion width and layer height how fast you can print.
  • I forgot - all extruders can clog even good ones. It happens if your nozzle is too narrow or if filament has dust or is of bad quality or if you have printed much and parts got backed to the sides narrowing nozzle. I'm not saying yours is, only that it can happen with any extruder. I had it happen to my E3D and it printed unsteady. After cleaning it it printed again without problems.
  • Oh no. I didn't mean it randomly would work and not work. I just meant that it quit working. I did change some settings, buthe I'm not sure if it stopped working right after. I can't remember.

I've spent hours trying to figure out which setting makes the extruder move faster while keeping the speed the same. I just can't figure it out.
  • Oh and for the extruder, it's just that the other extruder wasn't clogged and I just purchased this new one. They both do the same thing.
  • So is there not just one setting to do that? Thank you.
  • Ok, in that case I guess you have triggered the decoupling test. You should see this in the log file where it stops working why it exactly did this. The test is a saftey feature so it is normally worh while to find the a working set of parameter. Quick solution with newest version is to set decoupling time to 0 to disable the test.