preview in Folders

I have now docens of files per project and folder but no preview in it. I must copy files to a printer so I can have a preview. I am missing something or this is the normal way to go?

Comments

•  Projects are printer neutral and mainly meant for stl/obj files which get rendered or storing extra data. To render gcode it needs a printer so that is why it does not render gcode in projects.

If you only collect gcode projects use the groups in the printer. Then each group is a project and you see the renderings as well as informations like print time, times printed etc.
  • Yes, I understand how you organize it, but you are thinking in a per-printer based server, and thinking small projects. When going on big production using multiple cloned printers, the same model should be ready to print in whatever free printer, so projects must have this or groups must be shared between cloned printers. That's the way to organize a little or big farm. Now I have to store the same models in different groups, one per printer. If I upgrade a model, I have to delete the model in every printer and upload again... a pain in the ass! also I don't have information for the times printed.
    Please, take in consideration as I'm pretty sure much people have multiple cloned printers and the same problem... The way it is implemented isn't operative at all :-( 
  • When you have multiple identical printers on one server they can share same gcode and printing informations.

Also I understand what you mean projects are not meant to organize gcodes of multiple printers. We only added the ability to copy gcodes to them for convenience as they can also span over multiple server instances. But they are quite dump organized folders and do not know from which printer on which server it came from,  so they do not hold printer informations and hence can not combine them. Adding a preview might work if we assume ALL existing printers have same extrusion width and same filament diameter. Or we need a reliable way to extract that from gcode, but that is hard and often impossible.
  • Repetier said:
    When you have multiple identical printers on one server they can share same gcode and printing informations.
    And how can we share information or gcode? it is stored in different folders that even can't be copied between groups or printers, so the only way to copy a gcode from a printer is to copy to a project and again in projects copy to the other printer :-( 

Also, they don't share printing information, every printer has it's own. 

I really don't understand how can anyone organize jobs this way. I must mantain an excel file outside the server just to know how many prints I'm doing or how many money I have to earn. 

I am missing something or it is the way to go with Repetier Server? 
  • In printer settings deselect Printer uses own G-Code Repository and you can tell which printer is the leader for storing the data. Only constrain is it must be a printer on the same repetier-server instance.

>Also, they don't share printing information, every printer has it's own. 
    what do you mean here? I mean every printer has it's own print progress and information as it is a separate device. If you mean every server then I would understand, also in near future with next update there will be a new software to monitor multiple instances in one surface.
  • I'm sorry for the delay. It is a GREAT and COOL feature the shared repository, I didn't see that before, THANK YOU.