System.OutOfMemoryException: array dimensions exceeded supported range error

Slicing a very large file, 10 ft by 10 ft. Getting this error, cannot slice. How may I go about fixing this? The file will slice for 25 minutes, get almost to the end, then give me the error. Thanks in advance.

System.OutOfMemoryException: array dimensions exceeded supported range error

~Drew

Comments

• Sounds like a big slice. Only thing that helps with out of memory is more memory. So close all unused software and try again. Also check where the error happened. Host just calls slicer and then imports the gcode. So it might be that slicer succeeded and the host did run out of memory. In that case you have the gcode already in your work directory.

In that case you can set filament quality to simple instead of medium and that reduces memory usage by factor 10 or so. Gcode is then rendered as lines (ugly) but at least you can load it into memory.

For printing I advice to use repetier-server as it does not care about size. It was written to handle files bigger then ram without much memory usage. Host will slow down during print and use more and more memory.
  • Thank you very much! I highly appreciate it. I will look into Repetier Server for bigger slices. Are you telling me that Host could slow down after extended usage? And possibly start causing problems? Once again thank you. 

~Drew
  • Yes, host displays the printed object and as it grows updating can slow down. With current hardware it can get pretty big until this gets a problem but it takes increasing memory and slows down with print progress. 

Press Alt+F and you see in the status bar the FPS value indicating how fast display updates are. You can do this in preview tab then you know the speed when print is finished.