Repetier-Servoer 0.85.2 on RPi3 Cannot Connect To Printer

I have installed the latest Repetier-Server (0.85.2) on an RPi3 and the installation appears to be okay. The server is running and I can connect to it from other boxes. My problem is that I can't connect to the printer. I have tried all the USB ports on the RPi, and I have tried a bunch of the /dev/tty ports in the printer settings, including the 'serial' ones.
Yesterday, after I completed the installation I was able to 'connect' to the printer via /dev/serial/by-id/usb-1a86_USB2.0-Serial-if00-port0, but there was no response from any G-code commands. By 'connect' I mean that the printer icon turned green and the 'Get Values From Firmware' button appeared to work - it didn't give any errors and was re-enabled after a few seconds. However, the RPi crashed sometime overnight and since then I haven't been able to connect at all (no change in icon, etc.)

Any help or pointers on what to do or look at would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Ok, /dev/serial/... is already the right right port. Leaves firmware and baud rate. Setting repetier-firmware on marlin will make big problems. Vice versa it works better but also not perfect, so make sure firmware is set correctly.
  • Repetier said:
    ...Setting repetier-firmware on marlin will make big problems. Vice versa it works better but also not perfect, so make sure firmware is set correctly.
    Right, thanks for that tip. It should have been Marlin. Still no connection to the printer though. The printer connects fine to Repetier-Host on my Windows10 box, BTW, so it shouldn't be an issue with the printer itself.
  • Then in Repetier-Host run
    M115
    to see which firmware it really is and not the baud rate.
  • Hi, this is the output from the M115 command:

10:58:07.932 : FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin V1; Sprinter/grbl mashup for gen6 FIRMWARE_URL:https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin/ PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:Mendel EXTRUDER_COUNT:1 UUID:00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
    10:58:07.937 : echo:Active Extruder: 0

• Ok, so set firmware to Marlin and set correct baud rate. That should be all required to start communication. All othe rvalues can stay on defaults.
  • Great, everything works fine today. I had firmware set to Marlin and correct baud rate yesterday, but couldn't get it to connect. I have rebooted the RPi a couple of times today so maybe that cleared something.
    Using the RPi as the printer server will enable me to move the printer away from my desk to a better ventilated location. 
    Thanks for your help.