What's the performance cap / Hosting more than 4 printers on an RPi 3?

Hey all,

Using RepServer Free 0.85 and I'm curious of what's the safe amount of printers you can host on a Raspberry Pi 3, and if there's a way to go beyond 4 via using a powered hub?

I have 4 so far taking up every stock USB port and I haven't really had any strange problems except for one major system lockup / reboot (which could have just been a fluke).

I'm running it at the stock clock settings, with a fan and heatsinks to keep everying cool. Temperatures stay at around 35-40C depending on load, so the system isn't too taxed.

I can imagine if I upgrade to pro, it would be a bad idea to try and put cameras on each printer as processing each one would be a nightmare.

So let's hear it-- has anyone exceeded 4 printers hosted? How did you achieve it? Did you have any problems?

Comments

• If you login with ssh you can see cpu load with "top". With 4 printers alone it should not be very much.

I think it is not the cpu that limits you. Webcam will add much traffic, so that is in deed a problem if you watch all together. But webcams with hardware mjpg support (adviced) put nearly no load so 4 webcams should work with a hub. But that also puts lots of data communication on same usb so at one point you will have increased the usb load so that you might get a higher latency. So once you see printers pause it could be too much communication. 

So the limiting factor is data transfer required to put all the data to destinations. Not to forget wifi/ethernet which is also not the fastest on a pi.

Anyhow, would also like to see what others have achived in number of parallel printers.