Tools for Unattended Printing

edited September 2014 in Feature Requests
Lets face it, 3D printing is slow. I don't want to be chained to my desk babysitting these prints. But I know as soon as I walk away somethign will go wrong 10 minutes into a 120 minute print and BOOM major mess when I return.

It would be great to be able to remotely monitor and stop a print if something goes wrong. And it would be great if this could work in a universal way (e.g. website, email or text messaging not a dedicated app on one operating system).

All I want to do is visit a web page, see a picture/video of my print and be able to abort it. That's it.

Whatddya think?

Comments

• Use a webcam with a server software attached, so you can just call your computers webcam via internet and watch. There are several packages which seem to do the trick like vlc, but don't ask me on how to set them up (never did).
  • I agree with the Original Post. Having the ability to remotely view a print is one thing, but what can you do about it? It would be very helpful to be able to initiate a shutdown. I don't even think I would need a live stream like you are saying. I would know everything I need to know with a simple snapshot as long as it was within a couple minutes.

The remote shutdown is the import part. 
  • You can use Repetier-Server, you'll have full access to your printer through a web site from almost everywhere.