Print time estimate bugged

edited March 2016 in Bug Reports
Hi everyone,
I run Repetier Server on a raspberry pi for a Printerbot Metal Plus and a Printerbot Simple

Here's my issue: the print time estimate for the Metal Plus is faulty. The models always shows around 2min20 print time in the gcode list and when printing the time estimating is stuck on "computing..."
Thing is, this issue doesn't happen with the Simple on the same server. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the Metal plus but the issue persisted.

here's a screenshot of the model's list:

Is it a known issue? Any idea how to fix this?
Waiting for your answers, thanks a lot!


  • edited June 2016

    I have exactly the same issue. All settings are correct, most of them are imported directly form printer.
    Tested on Merlin 1.0.0 and 1.1-RC6. I'm using Geeetech Prusa I3 pro B with GT2560 board (now on Merlin 1.1-RC6).

    Repetier-Server version is 0.75.1 armhf, running on Pine64 with Debian. This was clean installation, no settings imported from different version of repetier-server.

    My configuration:
    Steps per unit:
      M92 X80.00 Y80.00 Z2560.00 E93.00
    Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
      M203 X400.00 Y400.00 Z2.00 E45.00
    Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
      M201 X5000 Y5000 Z50 E5000
    Accelerations: P=printing, R=retract and T=travel
      M204 P1000.00 R2000.00 T3000.00
    Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s),  Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s),  E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
      M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Z0.40 E5.00

    Weaper, could you upload configuration from both printers for comparison?
  • I guess something in the computation using the printer variables like acceleration etc. goes terribly wrong. Can you provide your printer configuration and a sample gcode in case it comes from slicer generated code in combination. Then I will check what I get and if I find the reason.
  • edited June 2016
    Every file I upload to server has print time around 2 min 9sec, regardless of a how big it is. File with 10 minuts print and 10h all have ~2min time. When I go to layer view I see time for every layer and I assume this time is correct, few minuts or seconds per layer but I'm not sure is this layer time calculated by Repetier-Server or it is read from GCode.

    In example there are 3 gcode files:
    0.5mm-thin-wall - this print took exactly 8 min at 100% speed (measured with watch, beginning after hotend and bed reach required temperature).
    Rest of attached files take few hours to print at around 160% speed (probably around 2-3h)

    To generate gcode I'm using Repetier-Host 1.6.1 with Slic3r 1.2.9.

    Printer settings:


  • Ok, found the command making it all invalid

    M190 S0; turn off bed temperature

    replace it with

    M140 S0; turn off bed temperature

    in your slicer end gcode and it will compute correctly. M140 is the same without wait and the wait is what gives your computation a negative time I guess also it does the same as M140 as you only disable and firmware will not wait to reach 0°C (or you would have to wait very long for winter). 
  • Awesome, it worked !! thank you :)

    I was wondering why it work for me because it should "hang" my printer after print (like you described), description of M190 in also confirm that, so I looked to Merlin firmware description of M190 command and found:
    * M190 - Sxxx Wait for bed current temp to reach target temp. Waits only when heating
     *        Rxxx Wait for bed current temp to reach target temp. Waits when heating and cooling
    So in case of Merlin firmware it was correct to use it with "Sxxx" parameter.
    Maybe it will be better if Repetier-Server ignore "M190 S0" in time calculation ? For Merlin firmware it will be correct and for other firmware it will still be better for time calculation regardless of that someone made mistake and "hang" own printer :)

    I made some time measurements and found one little odd thing, my gcode on list shows 12min 1s to print, but when I begin a print it show 12min 01s for around 2-3s then it change to 7min 21s.
    So I done some "real time" measurements:
    - start print at room temp bed and hotend: took 10min 20s
    - hot start (temperatures near print temp.): took 8 min
    Strange thing is that displayed time is 12min on list and then when printing almost instantly change to different time (and don't change even for 1sec for some time), but this is not a mayor issue :)

    Keep up the good work ! :)

  • New version will ignore M190 if < 30°C.

    The problem with the time at startup is the heating phase. Time is calculated including heating time (there is also a wizard to measure bed/extruder heating/cooling speed to optimize calculation). Once the heating command gets send the time gets subtracted also now the firmware waits for the difference to heat up (or starts directly if preheated). So this is no error just hard to follow up but still it makes the total time more correct.
Sign In or Register to comment.