Problems with z-height and layer display.

I am running repeater server 0.65.0 on Raspberry Pi2. Generally the software works great. I have noticed however some problems with layers and z-height display in both normal and LCD touch screen versions. In the print tab on LCD touch screen, when printing something, current layer information is displayed as either 0/0 or sometimes, if I get lucky, the current layer being printed out of zero layers (45/0). The Z-Position is also erratic. Sometimes it works as it should, sometimes it displays 200.00mm.

In the display accessible through web browser on the print tab when viewing uploaded g-codes in list mode the column Layer always shows 0 for all the files. Same in the popup window when I click on the info icon (little i). What is funny however, when clicking on the eye icon, the G-code preview section shows number of layers correctly. When going to the control tab while printing something the Z-position is also not working. X and Y positions are being shown correctly. Print job section in the control tab also displays incorrect information.

Is this a bug or some misconfiguration in my installation?

Regards,
yOOrek

Comments

• I also get it sometimes. But I get it so seldom that is hard to find the reason. We are still hunting the problem. Fortunately is has no side effect on the print.
  • What about the number of layers in the detailed list view of uploaded files? I've never seen a figure there.
  • That might be a good hint. I see them, but I also have normally layers while printing. So the question is more how to make it happen that it stays zero. Do you have a simple test file that shows 0 layers for you? Would be interesting if I get for that layers or not. I think it could depend on printer start script. Had the same with preview where a extrusion in air confused the renderer assuming wrong layer height.
  • edited October 2015
    Here is a link to a code that I upload to server - https://www.dropbox.com/s/r413uwfzawdhw5p/cube-40mm-DD-PLA-WHI-C-L0.10-P1-B3-T0-I0-NS.gcode?dl=0
    All my code files are generated by Slic3r 1.2.9 running on OS X. Furthermore the standard code that is included by Slic3r is -

Start G-CODE -

;

; first_layer_height = [first_layer_height]

; layer height = [layer_height]

; perimeters = [perimeters]

; fill_density = [fill_density]

; fill_pattern = [fill_pattern]

; first_layer_bed_temperature = [first_layer_bed_temperature]

; bed_temperature = [bed_temperature]

; disable_fan_first_layers = [disable_fan_first_layers]

;

; Autolevel

;

G28 ; Home all axis

G4 P1000 ; Wait one second

M340 P0 S1500 ; pozycja pionowa czujnika autolevelingu

G32 ; Perform autolevel

M340 P0 S505 ; pozycja pozioma czujnika autolevelingu

G28 X0 ; Home X

M340 P0 S0 ; Turn off autolevel sensor

G28 Y0 ; Home Y

G92 E0 ; Reset extruder position to 0

G1 Z0.12 ; wartosc z kalibracji osi Z

G92 Z0 ; Reset Z axis to 0

;

; Ready to print

;

END G-CODE -

;

; End G-code

;

M104 S0 ; turn off temperature

M140 S0        ; Set bed temperature to 0

G28 X0  ; home X axis

G28 Z0 ; home Z axis

G1 Y170 ; move table forward

M84     ; disable motors

M42 P9 S0

BEFORE LAYER CHANGE -

;

; Start of layer [layer_num]

;

Repetier server event dependent g-code is defined only for 'Run if job is aborted'.

Hope you can access the link without any problems.

• edited October 2015
    Actually your response made me think. I uploaded several versions of my file to the server (no extra g-code, only start g-code and so on) and found out that it is my end code that causes the layer calculation logic to fail. Which part of the code would it be?

;

; End G-code

;

M104 S0  ; turn off temperature

M140 S0         ; Set bed temperature to 0

G28 X0   ; home X axis

G28 Z0 ; home Z axis

G1 Y170 ; move table forward

M84      ; disable motors

M42 P9 S0

• edited October 2015
    OK, got it!
    Had to change my end g-code to -

;
    ; End G-code
    ;
    M104 S0       ; turn off temperature
    M140 S0       ; Set bed temperature to 0
    G28 X0          ; home X axis
    G1 Y170       ; move table forward
    M84               ; disable motors

M42 P9 S0

Then when the file is uploaded to the server the correct number of layers is displayed. Somehow my original code was tripping up the logic.

• Ah I see. Bad logic. Homing Z is the sign I used to reset layer counter I think. You can replace that with
    G1 Z<maxZ>
    until I find a fix for it. I guess I should only reset for the first z homing in a file:-)

• It was the G28 Z0 and I have fixed it for next release. Thanks for the help.
  • Thanks again. When could we expect the next release of RS?

Kind regards,
    yOOrek
  • I'm working now hard on the next release. Just want to push a few more improvements into the release before I start with new complicated additions taking time. I think this month we will release 0.70.